Author Topic: Chickens or not / Bird Flu  (Read 8643 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re: Chickens or not / Bird Flu
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2006, 10:56:21 »
That sounds promising! :)
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2006, 11:25:14 »
I read about sauerkraut in Practical Poultry magazine last month. Wouldn't it be great if it really does work.

www.practicalpoultry.co.uk   There is a forum there with lots of debate about the avian flu.

I keep veering from level headed concern to feeling fear and then back to a level head.

I have told my son not to talk about his hens too much at school for fear of any backlash towards him. Really sad about telling him that because he absolutely loves the chickens. 

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2006, 13:45:44 »
Oh Heldi,
your son must be worried bless him.
But in China - Vietnam and Turkey from what I have heard that if a chicken dies they just eat it. At least here we are more concerned about health issues. The conditions they are kept not like ours with vitiamin sub to keep them in top conditions and clean conditions.
I even read this morning if your hens look off colour feed them with cat food. Yes its the fish oils and minerials again so just boost their imune systems even the pickled cabbage is a booster.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2006, 20:52:50 »
Hi teresa!

My son has been worried. He saw a report on Newsround or Blue Peter. I'd not mentioned it to him thinking I didn't need to yet. I've told him we have to look after our hens as best we can,keeping them as safe as possible and also keep ourselves clean and wash our hands after we've been to the allotment. We do that anyway but I just reinforced it.

One of our cockerels wasn't looking very well a few weeks back. It was Dennis,my son's favourite. We were really concerned as he stopped crowing and moped about,rough looking feathers.  All the allotment people who have hens kept telling us to kill him,that he'd infect the rest of the hens,doom and gloom etc.Except for one, who told us to give him a dose of cod liver oil. I'd also just read in a poultry book about giving some olive oil and giving the crop a massage. We did that. We also put cod liver oil in the water for about a week.  Den started to pick up within a couple of days and is back on form now.Standing tall and making a terrific noise. All the hens look in great condition,glossy feathers, bright eyes and a perky attitude!

We use the apple cider vinegar once a month for a week and are keeping with a dose of cod liver oil every now and again.

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2006, 04:14:52 »
Hi All,
         I was not sure where to put this message until I saw this topic.

With regard to bird flu, I read an article recently that an Israeli virologist had laboratory tested Sambucus Nigra (Elderberry) on the H5N1 virus and found it to be 99% effective.

Elderberry has high amounts of Sialic Acid which prevents the virus from penetrating the cell walls, it is also effective against the original avian flu virus and human forms of flu virus.

The reason that domestic fowl are more susceptible to this virus is due to them having low amounts of Sialic Acid in their system.

Wild fowl and birds in general have a much more varied diet and tend to have higher amounts of this acid in their systems thereby affording them a greater degree of protection.

It also has to be said that in Asia domestic fowl have poor diets and have always been highly susceptible to bird flu, and the reason for the cross over to humans is that the people live in very close proximity to their birds.

Anyone concerned about their chickens should add dried Elderberry to the feed or purchase Sambucol; this is an Elderberry concentrate which can be added to their water.

I would also suggest the Homeopathic nosodes:-

Oscillococcinum 30C

Aviare Bacillinum 30C

These remedies will stimulate the immune systems of your domestic fowl and in conjunction with the Elderberries should give them a far greater chance of survival if H5N1 virus reaches the UK.

These remedies to be purchased in the liquid dropper bottle form and added to the drinking water once every 3 weeks in 3 drop doses.

These remedies can be purchased from any reputable Homeopathic Pharmacy and will stimulate the immune systems of your birds.

I think that Sambucol can be purchased in health food stores, but you will need to check that out.

I hope this information will aid you in protecting your domestic fowl and allay some of the hysteria generated by the Media and drug companies.

PREMTAL

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2006, 09:48:13 »
So in elderberry season perhaps I'll pick a load and freeze them, that way I can give the hens some berries each day (defrosted of course) with their greens through the winter and spring months.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2006, 16:33:14 »
That is a very interesting post Premtal. Looking for anything positive concerning bird flu.   Good old Elderberry. The power of plants never ceases to amaze me.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2006, 18:12:19 »
My chickens have an Elderberry tree in their run which gives them shade in the summer and berries in the autumn.  It's good to know that it could also protect them agains Bird Flu.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2006, 09:37:23 »
That's great. I think I'll try to plant one in my chooks pen.  Might need reinforced chicken defences at first but if the Elderberry gets away it'll be a great benefit. Thanks for the idea Pauline!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2006, 12:29:38 »
Hmm very interesting. Is Elderberry the one with white flowers then Pea sized berrys {posh petit pot that is]

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2006, 14:10:16 »
That's it northener, white fragrant flowers in the spring and dark/black berries in the late summer/autumn.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2006, 14:12:08 »
Here it is N.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 14:44:47 by Heldi »

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2006, 14:44:06 »
heehee! It propagates so easily !
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 14:46:17 by Heldi »

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2006, 04:23:29 »
Hi All,
         I should have added this note to my previous reply.

What actually kills the birds and humans affected by the H5N1 virus is that their immune systems go into overdrive in the fight against the virus.

This has the unfortunate effect of causing their immune systems to produce too much Nitric Acid which burns holes in the lungs resulting in their death.

This can be prevented by giving Cod Liver Oil as this causes the immune system to calm down thus reducing the production of Nitric Acid by the immune system.

It would seem beneficial therefore to include regular doses of Cod Liver Oil with the Elderberries as a prophylactic remedy to the virus.

PREMTAL

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2006, 10:14:57 »
Thanks again Premtal. Excellent information.

We give our hens a dose of cod liver oil in their water or on their food every now and again. Atleast once a week I would say.   Having seen a very poorly looking cockerel return to full vigour after having a dose of olive oil down his gullet,a massage and then cod liver oil for a week.  I would fully recommend it for anyone with chickens. Everyone on the allotments recommended killing him apart from one guy who told us about the cod liver oil.

If we are giving the chooks some mashed potato or pasta we put a couple of slugs (for 15 chooks) of cod liver oil in the bowl and mix it in..easy!  We have bought a big bottle of the stuff from a farm produce shop. It is a horse sized one and is less expensive in the long run. Chickens are galloping about and taking jumps like professionals lol!

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2006, 02:35:12 »
Hi, Heldi,
              Chickens are quite susceptible to respiratory diseases this is why in my first reply I suggested the Homeopathic nosodes:-

Oscillococcinum 30C

Aviare Bacillinum 30C

At the end of the day it is the immune system which protects the body and these remedies tone the immune system to a level which affords the body a strong defensive mechanism against attack.

Glad to be able to help, I know that kept animals tend to become family very quickly and as such their wellfare is of great importance to you.

PREMTAL

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2006, 01:41:01 »
Hi Heldi,
             You may find this an interesting addition to your pharmacy for the treatment of your chickens.

1 Garlic bulb separated into cloves peeled and minced.

1 pint of cod liver oil.

Put minced garlic and cod liver oil into a glass jar which has a lid seal, place in a warm position for 3 days.

Shake jar vigorously once daily, strain through unbleached muslin or cotton, bottle and keep in a cool position.

This was used as a regular tonic for poultry in America  back in the 50's

PREMTAL

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 02:33:21 »
Hi All,
         I thought it might be of use to add some information on herbs which will help to maintain the health of your chickens.

Feed your chickens with elder flowers in the spring and dry the autumn berries for winter feed.

The fruits of hawthorn and rosehips should also be dried and crushed for adding to the feed.

Seaweed can also be dried and added to the feed, fresh comfrey leaves should also be supplied, these are excellent glandular tonics.

I have also found out that molasses added to the feed on a regular basis stimulates their immune system against disease.

I hope this information will be of some help to you. ;)

PREMTAL

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal