Produce > Kept Animals

Egg laying

(1/1)

Heldi:
Some more of my hens are starting to lay.  I think about six of them are laying. I have four nest boxes on the floor though they all seem to favour one,which I know isn't unusual. Atleast two of the newly laying hens are favouring outdoors though.  I keep finding eggs in little muddy furrows in their pen or even popped out onto a paving slab which is by the door of the pen. Surely that can't be comfortable! How can I entice these hens to lay their eggs in a nest box? Can it be done or will I just have to be vigilant in searching these eggs out?!

sandersj89:
Try leaving a golf ball or ceramic egg in a couple of the nest boxes, this might help. Do not use blown real eggs as this can lead to egg eating.

Hens normally like to lay in a quiet spot out of harms way and tucked away. It may be that yours are just new to the game and not worked it all out just yet.

Jerry

Heldi:
Thanks Jerry.  I have been a bit worried about egg eating.  I shall purchase some ceramic eggs asap.

Paulines7:
Young birds do lay in odd places during the first few weeks of their starting to lay.  I have quite often found eggs under the perch where they have dropped out overnight and have also found the odd egg in the run.  However, once they get the hang of it they will go in the nest boxes.   

I use ceramic eggs to entice my hens back to laying when they have had a rest for a few weeks.  They usually stop about October, so putting in ceramic eggs in mid December can reward you with fresh eggs for Christmas.   

Heldi:
Oh wow, top tips Pauline!

I found 5 eggs in the fav nest box today. Just when I was about to come home I was counting my chickens ( :D ) and found one on the same nest. She layed me a lovely ickle brown egg. So all six eggs were in the same nest today and non outside.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version