Author Topic: congrats to doncaster council!  (Read 7110 times)

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
congrats to doncaster council!
« on: January 18, 2007, 20:51:05 »
blimey................no posts for a long time..............then two in one night!!!!
but i must just say a heatfelt thanks to doncaster council..........the owners of our plots
after many years of vandalism.............the council have now found the money.(and a fair amount)........to enclose our two plot sites with brand new pallisade fencing..........eight foot high and a nice non shiny green!
this.....complete with new entrance gates.......anti car barriers(apart from key holding plot holders)........and road resurfacing should go some way to helping the menace of flytipping and vadals.and hopefully lead to the rest of the overgrown plots eing more attractive to newcomers!
we did lose about 20 plots..............these were fenced off as they were in a sad state.....and this land is now being left to go wild..as a futher barrier against intrusion
on a more sad note....ive heard that the allotments officer responsable for all this has now moved jobs......and while i wish her all the very best for her new venture.....i just hope the next person is as approchable and as keen and forward thinking as she was!
this work..although long overdue....has cost (ive heard) over £100.000
money well spent tho....................at least from our veiwpoint!
so..............if your doncaster based.........fancy a plot........(some/most  do need a lot of work)...............contact the council...............ask about plots on the ings or bramwith road!
(in light of my other earlier post....i must also say these plots have been known to flood!)
nice one siggy...(allotment officer).and well done for once doncaster council!!!!

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
Re: congrats to doncaster council!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 21:39:56 »
We were promised similar fencing last year. Town council all agreed & everyone else. - Now 2 councillors want the money on spent on something else. It has now been referred to the borough council for final decision. Fence was due to be done in the autumn.  Will wait & see. :(
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 22:15:05 »
we got our plots with fencing and gates controled by a key thats hidden in a safe you use a number code to open.

But we get people complaing about the inconveniance and some even want the fencing down!!

Our major problem is with people not locking up!!

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 22:18:40 »
It is a problem on our site too, people drive in and leave the gate open ... then grumble about visitors ...

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 22:26:30 »
curry nice pic   :D

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2007, 22:54:32 »
Thank you, thought it was about time I resurrected it ...

Derek
The impossible is just a journey away ...

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 11:44:56 »
we found the money from a lottery grant to fence our plots 8' high and massive gates, more like gates for a prison, all done now apart from one side so we're nearly there , took a long time though, filled the forms in in june   ;D

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 17:05:00 »
Makes a pleasant change whereabouts in Donny is it.?

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 05:25:13 »
hi northener...............
the plots are at hexthorpe.................top end..............the bramwith road ones are .....well...........at the end of bramwith road..............the ings are at the side of these............im one of the lucky ones that has the river don running at the back......good protection...............if ya dont count the ducks and swans that sometimes show an interest!
bram/road is central..more overlooked by passerbys.............the ings are more secluded....more peaceful and private(in my opinion)
another thing that attracted me to the ings is that its got natural hedgerows.and is one of the few sites around where..if ya wanted too....you can keep livestock............in fact.me and the neighbours either side of me are talking of getting some geese to help protect against the yobbos..but now the fence is up were hoping that the frequent visits will stop..or at least slow down!.time will tell tho!
plots are available now...............loads of work to do on most of them..........but with the upcoming housebuilding of over 700 houses in hexthorpe.........(on the old plant railway works).we are hoping thhat all will be taken in the near future!

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 17:51:54 »
Well done that council and I hope your site prospers... we are a private site and have had a section of fence put up at @£1400... we got rid of 4 plots to get a security fence round the 12 acre site but a common boundary with some council allotments was left off the work and has been a constant thorn in our side!
 ;D

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 18:03:56 »
we got our plots with fencing and gates controled by a key thats hidden in a safe you use a number code to open.

But we get people complaing about the inconveniance and some even want the fencing down!!

Our major problem is with people not locking up!!

At our allotments the gate is locked with a padlock and heres the good bit you cannot take your key out until it is locked, so we don't have the trouble with the gates being left open, Also you cannot get the key cut at a normal keycutting shop which does put an end to plotholders giving keys out to all and sundry :)
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

mc55

• Hectare
  • Bernard at the cinema ! (Sheffield, S Yorks)
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2007, 21:08:02 »
 ours have big gates which are locked with a padlock ... other half has been locked in a few times (I have the key on my keyring). 

He realised he was locked in one time, when another lady appeared at our gate asking if he could let her out ...she didn't have a key either.  They had to wander around for about 25 mins looking for help until she remembered that one of her friends lived near to the lotties and had a neighbour who had a key.  ::) ::)

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 22:35:33 »
We now have good fencing and a good gate - which we all have a key for!  But quite often when there are a few people there the gate isn't locked - the padlock is just put back to make it look locked!  But the system works well - if you are the last to leave - you lock up!

We also each have a shed each not on our plots though - they are concrete slab jobbies erected along the spine row in rows or about 6 - back-to-back!  They are dry and very surdy and mine is only a plot away!  You have to provide your own padlock and some have iron bars across the front for extra security (as mine does).

We also have a concrete building which is two thirds lottie office/shed/store/shop and one third toilets!  (one f and one M).   All right next to my plot - very convienient convieniences!

All in all a pretty good site!

Louise
Grow yer bugger grow!

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007, 22:12:16 »
it took doncaster council a year just to get us sume keys for the gates but the drivers dont lock up after they leave wat can you do as for the road we are still wating sumeone will fall down on this so called  road and it wil end up costing the council more in comp than it would of if they layed the road
« Last Edit: February 03, 2007, 22:13:59 by sid »

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 20:29:08 »
hiya sid...........
where are you in donny?
as part of the fence jobbie they improved the road accessing the site for us......not a full job..........but leveled and compacted the road!
exept outside my plot...............where one of their trucks got stuck.and has left deep ruts right outside my gate!

ps................the fence job looks to have been rushed in places..................not much concrete round the posts and our main gate is decidably rocky.............but a quick call to the council had the contractors back for remidial work

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2007, 10:29:01 »
hi i am at Dunscroft allotments and you

marestail murderer

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2007, 19:20:09 »
sunny side of donny sid.................hexthorpe!

sid

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 20:42:16 »
used to work neer ther marestail

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal