Author Topic: Animal hair  (Read 2840 times)

joji

• Hectare
Animal hair
« on: January 15, 2006, 23:52:02 »
Hi Guys. I just thought that I would mention that if you pet is molting, put the hair in a bag and keep it. The birds would love to use it in there nests. I keep all my pet hair and put it in the lottie for the birds to take in spring. It all goes eventually. ;D

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: Animal hair
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2006, 09:37:21 »
Good idea Joji.  I once found a beautiful little wrens nest, snuggly lined with the brown fluffy bits of the inside of my Australian tree fern.  I knew we had wrens about but didn't know where they were nesting until I took all my hanging baskets down and found the nest tucked down the side of the basket.  Clever little things.....
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 09:52:00 »
i put out strips of tumble dryer sheets, my hair (collected from my hairbrush) & bits of thread (cut into small pieces) leftover from my cross~stitch projects
i place them in these little net bags that come with soap powder & they can just help themselves
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 11:45:23 »
Good idea!! I rather neglected Elsa's grooming over the Christmas and New Year but have been religiously brushing her each day for the past week. Where did I put the fur? In the rubbish!!! Will start collecting today especially as I am now trying to entice birds in to the garden. The birds are definitely enjoying their new restaurant.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 13:33:20 »
I usually add it to the compost, but this is a much fluffier suggestion  ;)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 13:44:57 »
What good suggestions!

Poor Meggie, I just got some scissors and told her some fur was needed to fill a net bag for the birds.  She layed there calmly while I gently snipped a bit from here and a bit from there.  She didn't mind as she is used to being groomed.  After all, I couldn't put any of my own hair in as I had it cut very short on Friday!

One thought has occurred to me though, isn't there a danger that the birds feet could become entangled with the netting?  Just a few weeks ago I read somewhere (probably on here!) that netting should be taken off fat balls.  Doesn't the same apply to the washing powder net bags?

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 13:54:15 »
We have been doing just that this weekend. One of our Siberian Huskies has started to molting like mad. Our wild birds have the warmest nests around.  :)

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 14:00:42 »

One thought has occurred to me though, isn't there a danger that the birds feet could become entangled with the netting?  Just a few weeks ago I read somewhere (probably on here!) that netting should be taken off fat balls.  Doesn't the same apply to the washing powder net bags?

i've put my nesting material out like this for a couple of years & not had any problems
i suppose you could line an old hanging basket & put the nesting material in that, that would also allow the bigger birds to access it more easily
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 14:53:41 »
Last year I bought some hanging basket liners which were thin plastic on the inside and a soft exterior.(can't remember what it was) however the birds found it very acceptable for nest making. I had to quickly redo four baskets before all the plants fell out!!!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 15:56:46 »
I've got a book that a friend bought me entitled 'Knitting With Dog Hair' (I've got a couple of hairy dogs that leave their various winter/spring coats in corners of the house)

The book's philosophy is: "BETTER A SWEATER FROM A DOG YOU LOVE AND KNOW, THAN A SHEEP YOU'LL NEVER MEET"

There's a lovely pattern for a Shitzu Hat in there if you have the time and inclination. I'd rather get the Hoover out ... but only every couple of months  ;)
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2006, 16:20:17 »
We have been doing just that this weekend. One of our Siberian Huskies has started to molting like mad. Our wild birds have the warmest nests around.  :)

How many huskies do you have? :)

ipt8

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2006, 18:12:42 »
We have four Huskies and in December added two new puppies to the team. I say team because it is my wifes hobby - she races them. We will be at Sherwood Pines this weekend.

I am the tree feller, well Forester actually and interested in gardening and gardens.

A bit off topic here I guess. Now I wonder how many birds nests one can get fron a Huskies molt. One dog produces I reckon about a pillowcase full of hair. Ours have the true Husky coat with the thick undercoat. We have known them to go in the sea for ages and when they came out the water had not got through the coat to the skin ::).

I will start a post in the animal section with alittle more info.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2006, 00:10:03 »
I had two westies and each march they would have their coats cut the hair on the garden in piles and the birds loved it again in late autum they then lined the nests for winter roosting. Now I just throw out human hair when we have cuts around the roses ment to be good for them but the birds have that as well.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2006, 09:59:35 »
Gave myself a severe  slapped wrist today :o  When I think of all the dog hair I have thrown away over the years when their groomer visits.  We have very fat birds around here owing to the regular feeding, but never thought of putting the hair out for their nests.  Needless to say, will be doing so from now on :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Whippet

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2006, 10:32:48 »
I've got a book that a friend bought me entitled 'Knitting With Dog Hair' (I've got a couple of hairy dogs that leave their various winter/spring coats in corners of the house)

The book's philosophy is: "BETTER A SWEATER FROM A DOG YOU LOVE AND KNOW, THAN A SHEEP YOU'LL NEVER MEET"

There's a lovely pattern for a Shitzu Hat in there if you have the time and inclination. I'd rather get the Hoover out ... but only every couple of months  ;)

Years ago, weavers used to use dog wool. But, most gave it up, as the hair was too short.
It would take a long time to gather enough hair from a Shih Tzu, in order to make a hat.
 :o
You can take me out of Yorkshire - but you can't take Yorkshire out of me

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal