Produce > Kept Animals

Beekeeping

<< < (4/4)

blight:
actually it does.
could be though that you have got a different variey of oil rape in the uk to us in germany, a land flowing with cabbagy rape honey.

Svea:
never noticed a cabbage smell on the 'ordinary' honey which i assume is mostly rapeseed honey in germany. mind you, that was before i trained my tastebuds for the finer things in life ;)

Robert_Brenchley:
By 'ordinary' honey, do you mean the commercial stuff? It's processed to the point where everything which distinguishes honey from invert syrup has vanished. Rape honey is bland and hard; it's usually blended with other honeys, but it's certainly not unpleasant to the taste. Loads of people do cope with it successfully, but as I'm in the middle of a large conurbation, I've never had to cope with it.

moonbells:
hmmm .... the last pot of honey we bought has gone solid quite amazingly over the last 2-3 weeks.  Started off with a few crystals in the bottom and it's now completely crystallized.

I can't help wondering if it's indeed rape honey.  Must ask the stallholder next time I see them at the farmers' market...

moonbells

Robert_Brenchley:
Sounds as though it could well be. The other pale fast-setting honey that springs to mind is ivy, which has been becoming commoner over the last few years. But rape is by far the most likely.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version