Author Topic: Creeping buttercup....creeping back!  (Read 1715 times)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
Creeping buttercup....creeping back!
« on: January 06, 2006, 12:37:45 »
Anyone got some advice?

Just tidying up on the veg patch only to find creeeping buttercup is well on the way to overrunning the whole area. Last year when we moved in here I had to make the veg patch work pretty quickly so just dug out what was evident, but wonder what I can do now to keep the work down later on?

Would the black plastic trick work do you think?

Thanks guys!

CLx

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
Re: Creeping buttercup....creeping back!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 13:21:31 »
that stuff is a nightmare , i have it in my garden and it even has creeped and is growing in my pond, really roots into the linner so i have to be very careful and pull it out as soon as i see it , think i would grow anyway ,

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 13:48:07 »
Would the black plastic trick work do you think?
CLx
Yes, but it may take time. I found just digging it in didn't work as it just turned around and re-emerged. Perhaps, like couch, summer digging is best?

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 15:29:46 »
Thanks John,

I dug the bed last Spring and it has been pretty clear until now. Wasn't suggesting digging the roots in, was just digging a few other bits out when i discovered the signs.

Won't be planting anything there until March earliest, so perhaps I'll try some plastic in the meantime.

CLx

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 17:12:46 »
It's horrible stuff; there are always small plants in there, and every one you miss just grows back. Even if you get it all, it comes from seed. It's all over my plot.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal