Author Topic: OMG! I have a plot!  (Read 4215 times)

supagranz

• Not So New ...
Re: OMG! I have a plot!
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2006, 20:11:01 »
Dont bank on your Hubby helping you on the plot i'm 8 months down the line and mine is still not interested (but he eats what i bring home) but every Sunday you will find me digging or chatting And having fun......So congrats to you and i hope you have many years happy digging
Live to-day as if its your last as one day it surely will be

boris

• Quarter Acre
  • Hhmmm, let me think
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2006, 21:23:56 »
Congratulations!! Glad to hear the good news. I haven't got a plot only a garden BUT it seems that one of the best bits of advice given by other allotment holders is TO ENJOY!!!!

Will second this: when you stop enjoying it, might as well go t' pub.  Hope you have a fantastic time.
Still thinking

iain

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2006, 10:25:24 »
Good luck on your new allotment enjoy.
 I have not long got mine, not done much to mine as the soil is to wet.

Lizzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2006, 12:48:41 »
Hey Amanda, you and me both!

I got mine just before Christmas and have since dug about half of it over, leaving some for "lawn" and the rest to see what appears - a confused daffodil has already apeared, so I think there may be a bulb bed there. The soil is beautiful and crumbly and simply falls away when I shake the roots of unwanted weeds. Magic. There's even a little robin that comes and helps me dig!

I got a bit of a shock when I was digging through the plot thinking it was completely empty and uncovered three ENORMOUS parsnips. And I mean huge. They were like thighs, for goodness sake! They appeared on the end of my fork like  whales on a harpoon. However, they were sweet and tender, peeled like a dream (none of the tough skins you get from the supermarket) and I had free enormous parsnip soup for three days running. Hurrah!

I'm now revelling in the planning and dreaming I'm doing. I'm starting to buy seeds, and am loving the whole concept.

Lizzie

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2006, 13:23:07 »
:)

My head is running away with me.  I couldn't sleep last night for thinking!!  :-\
One minute I'm planning chutney and then I'm stumbling due to too much running before I can walk and I panic over the fact that I don't even have a hoe!  Never mind I'm off to see my Dad tomorrow who has lottied since I was a baby so I'm hoping he might have a few old forks etc to bung my way! ;D
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Lizzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2006, 15:38:13 »
Your over-thinking sounds familiar, Amanda!  My lottie came complete with strawbs, raspberries, vines, gooseberries and currants of various hues. I'm very excited about the strawberry jam, gooseberry crumbles, raspberry vodka and creme de cassis I'll be making. Then when I've grown tomatoes, beans, peas, squash and purple sprouts as well, there'll be chutneys, soups and all sorts. Scrummy.

I got a fork and spade for Christmas, and an upcoming birthday will, I hope, garner some good books.

No fear, Wardy - I'm cultivating a small lawn so I can sit and dream in the peace of the great outdoors (a real boon when you live in a flat). And I can guarantee that there'll be a wee tipple taken there before long!

Lizzie

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2006, 17:00:04 »
God I want to get on there now!   

;D  ;D ;D  ;D ;D  ;D

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #27 on: January 07, 2006, 21:44:36 »
Hey it won't be long! HAve fun! 
;D ;D;D ;D

tilly

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2006, 13:25:54 »
Amanda, as well as all the seeds and tools. Dont forget to buy a big bottle of Radox for when you get back from your first days digging.

Good luck..
Build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, set him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life..

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2006, 15:37:36 »
I found that a grass hook/sickle and long cylindrical sharpening stone were really handy on a new allotment for; clearing top growth on the neglected plot, making an easy job of cutting back the creeping wilderness and maintaining the edges between my plot and the path.

If you get a sickle you also need to get a strong leather glove (for the hand which holds the sharpening stone) since sickles give very nasty cuts.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 17:00:18 by John_H »
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2006, 16:23:03 »
To follow on from John's post, it is worth considering having some emergency first aid supplies in your shed for those upsetting injuries, ie the sickle cut, or a gash from buried glass ... An up to date tetanus jab is probably worthwhile too. Sorry to broach on such gloomy material ...

amanda21

• Acre
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2006, 16:55:50 »
Actually the first thing my mum said when I told her about the plot was to make sure I got a tetanus jab!   :)

I am making a list of things I might need to beg, borrow or steal as people mention things on here - I think I might have to prioritise though!!  Shame I missed out on the Christmas presents!  ;)

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2006, 17:33:16 »
Amanda - I'd second the point about getting your jab up to date - plus anyone's who might be going to help you.   Have a great time, and post us some pics of the before so we can appreciate the after in a little while  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal