Author Topic: Yay for Polstead Blacks  (Read 3165 times)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Yay for Polstead Blacks
« on: January 05, 2006, 23:51:30 »
I'm spending this weekend in and around Polstead in Suffolk a la recherche du temps perdu ( I was raised there ) and had intended to beg a scion from one of the few remaining Polstead Black cherry trees. Lo and behold, having searched for Polstead Black Cherry many times, when I change it to Polstead Black(s) I find that Crown Nursery in Ufford sell 3 year old trees. The downside is they're not opening till Monday so I'll still have to mail order. Still, at least I'm going to be able to help keep this famous old variety going.
I'm also planning on getting a Nottingham medlar and an old Nottingham filbert from one of nearby nurseries. It's great to keep old names going rather than plant modern varieties.

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
Re: Yay for Polstead Blacks
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2006, 09:51:27 »
what are the medlar and filbert?
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2006, 12:28:34 »
They're both just called Nottingham.

http://www.cooltemperate.co.uk/index.shtml

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 14:39:47 »
no, i meant, what are they? a medlar is a quince type thing, but what is a filbert?
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 16:06:51 »
Opps! Someone lese may know more but filbert and cobnut seem to be almost interchangeable names.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 10:21:31 »
One of my friends had an impressive medlar tree of great age so I looked in some Bookes to find out what to do with them. We picked (and picked up!) the medlars late in the year (November), and put them on trays indoors to 'blet' in time for Dec/Jan eating. Bletting is the process where they go brown and spongy and sweet (and a good word for Scrabble). Then we'd squeeze out the gloop and eat with ice cream  :P :D.
If anyone wants to know the Olde Englishe slang for medlars, based on the shape of their calyx end, it's just too rude to post here, sorry  ;D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2006, 11:21:10 »
Opps! Someone else may know more but filbert and cobnut seem to be almost interchangeable names.

Don't know a lot about them except I was advised to grow two different types to get more nuts - and I do get a lot. The names of the ones I grow are: Kentish Cob 'Lamberts Filbert' which are a longish oval shaped nut, and Kentish Cob 'Cosford' which is more rounded.
I quite fancy having a go at growing a medlar as well though...do they need more than one to get lots of fruit does anyone know?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2006, 11:22:41 by jennym »

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 14:05:49 »
the one in my friends' garden was all on its own and cropped beautifully jen  :)

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2006, 14:07:05 »

marshwiggle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2006, 10:32:46 »
Background reading on medlars for anyone who's interested at http://www.eat-it.com/CareGuides/medlar.html  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal