Author Topic: Urgent Help Needed - Unwins Seeds  (Read 7371 times)

entrus

• Not So New ...
Urgent Help Needed - Unwins Seeds
« on: January 05, 2006, 22:34:47 »
Can anyone help me?

I need a couple of old Unwin's Seed packets.  I don't need the seeds, just
the packets, but if even this is a problem I could manage with either a
photocopy or scan of both the front & back of the pack.

In particular I need an Unwin's Economy (59p or thereabouts) flower packet dated (on the reverse) anytime from 1998 - 2004.

Also an Unwin's National Trust Classic Flower Seeds packet, dated (on the
reverse) from 2003 - 2005.

This is most urgent, so please could you look through your seed boxes
and see if you have any old packets.   It doesn't matter what the condition, torn, faded, mouse eaten, dog (or child) chewed, or even post washing machine, anything will do!

I am desperate and would be very grateful for any help.

Regards,

Nick

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Urgent Help Needed - Unwins Seeds
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 23:42:28 »
OK I'll be the first to ask..............WHY???????

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 23:45:22 »
Some people will try anything to get a refund!!

Sorry, I've checked and can't help.

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2006, 00:19:56 »
Some people will try anything to get a refund!!
;D  ;D  ;D

Hi Nick

I've looked through all of my old tins, and ashamed to say that I've found quite a few packs dated from 1990 through to 1996!!  :D  Cheapest though is 79p !!  They're all yours if you need them!!   :)  Just pm your address and I'll pop them in the post, no probs!!

Di
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

markfield rover

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2006, 14:19:10 »
we have a economy pack of nasturtiums 69p cannot find date but think older than two years   intact      why ?

entrus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 15:15:24 »
Hi, Thanks for coming back.

As you no doubt know, there has been a great amount of speculation concerning Unwin's demise, and unfortunately at this stage I cannot go into too much detail, but in essence I need to produce examples of older packets to show that over the years Unwin's packing methods did not change.

I can assure you that your packet would be most gratefully received.

Many thanks for your assistance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nick
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 15:18:24 by entrus »

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 15:16:47 »
Take ya details off the thread
Be kind to slugs and snails!

entrus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2006, 15:20:56 »
Thanks!!!!!!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2006, 17:37:21 »
Entrus,

I've browsed gardening sites a lot over the past few days & happened upon a site where this request was made and a far more comprehensive answer was given.......so I'd ask that if "at this stage" more info is being given to other peeps, why not here, please?

entrus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2006, 18:04:16 »
No particular reason, as the full story will come out beforte the end of the year.  Why, is it a problem for you?  If so I can post a copy of that message also.

Regards,

Nick

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 19:11:16 »
No particular reason, as the full story will come out beforte the end of the year.  Why, is it a problem for you?  If so I can post a copy of that message also.

Regards,

Nick

The end of the year???  Like, er...end 2006??  No, it's not a problem for me, or 'us' I'd think (as you've had other enquiries since posting this thread asking for the 'Why')...but a full explanation of why you'd like us, full of goodwill as we are, with busy lives & little inclination at this time of year to delve into shut-up garden sheds  to co-operate with yr request would be much appreciated.

Just a courtesy thing......

Cheers!

entrus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 20:13:01 »
Just so that there is no further missunderstanding, I can tell you the following.

I do not know whether you are aware, but Unwins packet seeds were sold to the retail outlet on a "sale or return" basis.  That means that they were purchased by the shops or garden centres at the beginning of the season, who then returned them to the producer at the end of the season for a credit.  Prior to 1993 these returned packets were then destroyed.  For various technical reasons this destruction process was expensive, and the cost of it was naturally passed on to the consumer by the seed companies in the price you paid the next year.

I work in Russia, and in 1993 I discovered that these returned seeds could be exported to Russia and I managed to find purchasers for them.  I approached Unwins with this idea and they agreed.  In doing this I not only saved Unwins this destruction cost, which kept price of seeds down to the UK consumer, it gave them an extra source of income, which by the way was pure net profit.  At the same time it also provided Russian gardeners, on their meagre incomes, with much needed quality seeds at  prices they could afford (3 cents US per packet).   Naturally, I received a commission on the sums received by Unwins from Russia.

Everything seemed to be going well until 1996 when accounting checks on the corroboration documents provided to me by Unwin's threw up serious doubts.

The bottom line is that since then my accountant found considerable "anomalies" in Unwin's accounts, and I do mean considerable, which directly and negatively effected my commission.   In reply to my questions on this Unwins stated that they were no longer supplying these returned seeds to Russia, only  new production.  Instead they were sorting out the old returned seeds and selling them back to the retail outlets as new stock (where you then no doubt purchased them at the price of new seed!).  Strangely, during this period, that is 1996 to date, I was travelling to Russia, and every year I still purchased this same returned stock from Russian shops..

Naturally I took Unwins to Court, and it took nearly 8 years to do it.  When we finally got  to court their main witness stated that all the packets purchased by me in Russia and produced in evidence were manufactured especially for export. He demonstrated to the court how, by looking at the packet ,how he could tell that it was not manufactured for sale in the UK. 

I knew that this was absolute bull***t, so set about looking for examples of packets that without doubt had been sold in the past by retail outlets in the UK.  The only way that this could be done was by asking the people who purchased them, you.

Is that enough of an explanation?

Regards,

Nick

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 22:59:19 »
Sounds absolutely dreadful; I hope you win the case. I don't have any packets of Unwin's seed though, old or new.

lynndan16

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2006, 08:26:53 »
Does it have to be a flower seed packet?
I've found a packet of leek seeds marked 59p best before 2002 on the back. I bought it  at a car boot sale.    It's yours if you want it.

Lynn
Work like you don’t need money
Love like you’ve never been hurt
Dance like nobody’s watching
Sing like nobodys listening
Live like its heaven on earth

entrus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2006, 09:23:28 »
Dear Lyn,

Yes please, but just the packet, keep the seeds.

Regards,

Nick

entrus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2006, 09:34:04 »
Dear Robert,

You are right, but not just for me and my family, there is also the families of those people I had to lay off because of what happened.  All for the sake of some Hooray Henry's  BMW fund.

Regards,

Nick

Hyacinth

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2006, 19:10:13 »
Nick,

What's your deadline for these, please? I've got quite a few elderly clients with stuffed-full greenhouses full of old packets but won't be getting to them for 3-4 weeks - will gladly look for you then if you like. Any good?

'Lish

entrus

• Not So New ...
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2006, 21:30:21 »
Dear Lish,

Thanks for coming back.

Yes please!!!!!   I have already had kind offers of packets, and some from Diane have already arrived, but definitely the more the merrier.   Please keep an eye out for Unwin's National Trust Collection, as they are the "Holy Grail" of them all.  All I need of these is just one packet.

Also, if you are successful don't forget to let me know who were the kind people who let you have packets as I would also like to write to them and thank them personally.

Kind regards,

Nick

MagpieDi

• Hectare
  • Oh to be as wise..... !!!
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2006, 15:53:34 »
Hi Nick 

Good news!! Two packets of the  "Holy Grail of them all" have been unearthed by a dear friend of mine!!   :)   Dated 12/04. Will pop them in the post tomorrow.

Best wishes
Di
Gardening on a wing and a prayer!!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2006, 18:47:50 »
Hope that does it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal