Author Topic: Compost Rotators  (Read 1886 times)

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
Compost Rotators
« on: January 28, 2006, 19:56:35 »
I have a fair quantity of composting materials available, a lot of it is crass cuttings ,but I also have a fair amount of horse manure. My problem is that I have three "slipped discs", so regular turning is not really an option, and my three 4' x 4' x 2' bins, while being full, don't appear to be going anywhere. I have read about three brands of compost turners which reckon to finish the job in 21 days. These are all much to expensive for me, but I have read about one which is widely available, rotates end-to-end rather than laterally, and which can be found for £55. Has anyone had any experience of these? Do they work? Do you think that a mobility-restricted individual could work one?
Jeremy

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: Compost Rotators
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 20:15:52 »
You say 'regular turning, Sven...but in reality once or twice should be enough. Could you manage that rather than buying something you would have to work to fill anyway?

Acewell

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 20:23:17 »
Do you mean one of these http://www.tumbleweed.com.au/pages/default.cfm?page_id=19969  If so they are heavey to turn when nearly half full, mine was a used welcome gift so had no instructions and I need help to topple it. :-\

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 20:35:11 »
I had one and couldn't use it either. Much too heavy to turn. :'(

Way I compost now is.........mix stuff into black bin bags, dampen if necessary, tie the bags up, puncture a few holes in each, line them up against a sunny hedge. Stuff bagged in the autumn get laid in trenches in the spring & covered with soil. Toms and bush beans welcome it. Stuff collected during the growing year gets the same treatment late autumn.

Bag lady extra-ordinaire, me ;D ;D

Svengali

• Half Acre
    • Focalpoint-photo
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 22:28:17 »
Yup, that was the one I was thinking about. Glad I asked before I bought one!. I could just about run to one of these.  http://www.gardensite.org.uk/envirocycle.php
 Are they any better?

JeremyB

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal