Author Topic: Sowing Times  (Read 4599 times)

iain

• Half Acre
Re: Sowing Times
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2006, 10:22:03 »
Hi mike really good chart I have also saved it as new to allotment gardening.   :)

petuariapete

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2006, 11:45:05 »
I keep all my seed packets in an old  computer floppy disk box which I rescued from work. It  has a lock on it, which stops any pesky critters helping themseves!

Here is a list, in no particular order, of the seeds I have, with the 'use by' dates in brackets :

Radish - French Breakfast (6/2006)  - in date, so these should be OK
Chilli Peppers (6/2006) - as above
Purple Broccoli (12/2003)
Broccoli - Autumn Calabrese (1/2002) - fingers crossed!
Mint (1/1999)
Mint (1/2000)
Mint (1/2003)
I will sow the mint more in hope than anticipation!
Parsley - Plain Leaved (1/2000)
Parsley - Plain Leaved (1/2002)
Sweet Basil (12/2004)
Pea - Mangetout (12/1999)
Pea - Early Onwards (1/2002)
Runner Bean - Enorma (6/2005) -should be OK
Runner Bean - Enorma (12/2004)
Runner Bean - Streamline (1/2000)
Radish - Scarlett Gold (1/2002)
Swede - Marian (1/2003)
Tomato - Gardeners Delight (12/2006) - in date!!
Tomato - Alacante (6/2006) - another one in date!
Tomato -Moneymaker (1/2002)
Tomato - Moneymaker (6/2006) - in date

I will sow the earliest dated packets first and let you know how they get on.

Martyn.
 :D
Cauliflower and sprouts are the Devil's banquet!

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2006, 09:46:22 »
Bringing this to the top, cos I followed the link given in The Shed and think it's gonna be sooooooo useful to new members or those, like me, who printed it out first time round - and now can't find it, so thanks Mike for the original work.

I don't have heat in my greenhouse, so outdoor toms, etc. get started off in the house /bout mid-end Feb then grown on in my cold frames/greenhouse until ready to plant out. Stuff like french/runner beans get started off in pots in the cold frame march-time. Too many damned squirrels round here to faff about sowing in the open ground & covering with netting. >:(

Chart says outdoor toms can't be planted directly outdoors, tho? Some of my thinnings - 1st leaves & hair root only,  got thrown with other stuff onto the compost heap or dug into veggie beds - where they grew and grew and fruited beautifully ;D

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2006, 10:07:23 »
You are right A-M outdoor tomatoes can be sown directly outside,  but this really limits their growing season and you usually get a reduced crop especially with indeterminate (vine) it's IMHO  best  to use determinates (bush) for outside growing as they tend to have a shorter growing season and a one flush crop.  For a final answer check with Tim.

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2006, 11:52:14 »
A really useful chart - I've just printed it out. Thanks very much for posting it. :)

misterphil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2006, 12:39:33 »
Thanks for the idea - being a bit geeky, I have gone through my packets and produced a gannt chart for sowing and harvesting for most of my seeds (99 types so far). I haven't added my 30+ tomato varieties - these will all be sown in modules in an unheated greenhouse in april ..., nor my 1 0varieties of potatoes.

I always go over the top with seeds, but this at least tells me what I ought to have planted, if only I had had the time!

It is available for anyone to use, if you can tell me how to post an excel spreadsheet for download ...

cheers
The problem with being an IT teacher is that all those kids get in the way of my interaction with the computers.

loulou

• Acre
  • what have i let myself in for
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2006, 16:00:20 »
very impresive charts im still doing mine still in draft for ( on paper still ) iv re wrote it about 5 times coz when i put it down it gose missing (kids hide the thing ) so by the time it comes to putting the plants (seeds) in the ground i should know the book (packets ) of by heart i hope lol

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2006, 16:15:27 »
And Aubergines, Mike?

I know -  "use your nous"??

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal