Author Topic: Sowing Times  (Read 4598 times)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
Sowing Times
« on: January 05, 2006, 10:53:19 »
Getting ready

Distances and times have been taken from the seed packets.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 11:22:52 by MikeB »

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Sowing Times
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2006, 10:58:04 »
eek!  Not got me broad bean seeds yet  :)  Nor me geraniums  :o

I came, I saw, I composted

timmyc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 11:04:42 »
my wife has very kindly drawn up a gan chart showing what we do when - so that all I need to do is look at the month/week and see what I need to get done - then colour it in when I've done it!

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 11:06:14 »
my wife has very kindly drawn up a gan chart showing what we do when - so that all I need to do is look at the month/week and see what I need to get done - then colour it in when I've done it!

Is that something you can post on the forum?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 11:09:45 »
I do a very similar system Mike, I find it invaluable ... for the sowing times I put in a number eg 4.2 means 2nd week in April. This makes it easy to sort by planting dates.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 11:11:27 by Derekthefox »

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 11:44:59 »
Most impressive. Reality seldom resembles my own best laid gardening plans, though... :-\
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 12:04:58 »
I don't have any plans - best laid or otherwise.  I sort of let things evolve in a chaotic like fashion.  Not recommended.   I'm dreading me shallots showing up  :o
I came, I saw, I composted

petuariapete

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 12:21:47 »
Excellent chart Mike. I have saved it for (near) future reference. I can't wait to get started!

Regarding starting off sowing in a greenhouse, would a sunny window-sill be a suitable alternative? If so, are there any tips for sucessful germination?

Martyn.
Cauliflower and sprouts are the Devil's banquet!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 12:28:41 »
A sunny window sounds fine to me, providing you have enough space !!!

petuariapete

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 12:45:19 »
Thanks for that advice Derek.

The numerous spider plants and cacti on my window-sills are definitely going to have to take a back seat for a few months!

I have some  seeds left over from last/previous years. Reading previous posts, it seems that these will still germinate, despite being well past their use by dates.

Is it worth trying sowing some of these? I mainly have tomatoes/ beans/peas. I suppose I have nothing to lose by trying. If I sow them at the earliest recommended sowing date (as per Mike's chart) and they don't germinate, I can still buy some fresh seeds to sow in good time.

Martyn.
Cauliflower and sprouts are the Devil's banquet!

umshamrock

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2006, 12:58:04 »
What a great chart! I keep track of stuff in Excel too but I am no where near that organized or comprehensive.

MikeB - Do you refer to an unheated or heated greenhouse for the time to 'sow seed in greenhouse'?
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2006, 13:06:49 »
Excellent chart!

I've written in the monthly planner in my diary what to sow when. THen once I've sown it I write it in the day page in the diary and then keep track of when things germinate, when prick out, plant out, harvest (if they get to that stage!) etc. All for future reference.

Martyn - I use a windowsill for my seedlings. Works fine. Just watch they don't get to hot from radiators. Old seeds - tomatoes keep for years. Others - sow a bit thicker than you usually would. Do it early so if they don't work you have time to get more! my spider plants live quite happily on the top of bookcases.
gone to pot :D

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 13:16:57 »
Wow, such organisation makes me feel quite humble!

Have saved your chart Mike B thank you :)
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2006, 13:28:00 »
Thank you! I've saved it too. :)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2006, 14:56:20 »
I have also saved it.  Thank you Mike B.

raymee

• Not So New ...
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2006, 17:43:03 »
Thanks Mike I saved it too.... I need all the help I can get .. Ray
Work hard .. Play hard .. Reap the rewards..

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2006, 20:58:27 »
What a great chart! I keep track of stuff in Excel too but I am no where near that organized or comprehensive.

MikeB - Do you refer to an unheated or heated greenhouse for the time to 'sow seed in greenhouse'?

Basically anything planted  before march needs to be in a heated greenhouse.  Personally I use one of those cheap plastic self assembly type things usually sold for 10 pounds inside the greenhouse and only heat the cheapo with a soil warming cable, works really well.

A window sill is great, but don't forget to rotate your plants each day when you water them, to insure they grow straight.

MikeB
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 11:26:21 by MikeB »

umshamrock

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2006, 11:54:29 »
Basically anything planted  before march needs to be in a heated greenhouse.  Personally I use one of those cheap plastic self assembly type things usually sold for 10 pounds inside the greenhouse and only heat the cheapo with a soil warming cable, works really well.
MikeB

Oh to have access to electricity at my allotment...I don't think I can possibly wait until March to try out my new greenhouse!
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2006, 12:00:23 »

Oh to have access to electricity at my allotment...I don't think I can possibly wait until March to try out my new greenhouse!

But the heat is for plants that are not frost hardy.  At the moment I'm growing carrots, onions and cabbage in my GH with no heating.  I do have bubblewrap and a forty-five gallon water drum (see previous threads on a water drum acting as a storage heater)

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2006, 10:11:20 »
An excellent chart Mike, I've also copied it.  I usually keep all my seed packs in a shoe box in chronological sowing order and simply work through it throughout the year. 
It'll be better next year

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal