Author Topic: Help me grow Christmas Trees  (Read 1764 times)

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
Help me grow Christmas Trees
« on: January 08, 2006, 20:54:03 »
I'm starting up a school gardening club, and one of my pupils had the bright idea of growing some Christmas trees to sell to raise funds, in a few years time.....

Is this feasible?    If anyone has any experience of growing Christmas trees I would appreciate some advice!
Nathan

undercarriage plan

Re: Help me grow Christmas Trees
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 21:59:30 »
Novel idea! Or Noel idea!!  ;D Haven't a clue, Nathan, though I imagine it would take several years, alot of space and they may well have left school before they're big enough to sell. But I really think they may lose interest.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 23:30:22 »
http://www.extension.umn.edu/distribution/naturalresources/DD2022.html - check this out for a professional way of starting a plantation!!

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2006, 09:50:14 »
Dear Nathan,

How about buying the Christmas trees as container grown trees, and setting up a system where your pupils look after the trees all year in containers, and you charge a fee to parents or anyone interested to hire the tree over the Christmas period. It's very environmental and carbon neutral.
You can charge the fee over and over again so long as you keep the trees alive, and it could even make a profit!
I know of a farm near Bolton in Lancashire that do it, I think they charge £15 per tree with a further £10 deposit to be returned when the tree is brought back. Security may be a problem, but it's worth a thought, as it could be up and running for next year, and kids love instant results.

Brian

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 12:34:45 »
Thanks Emma, brilliant site!

Thanks Brian, what a good idea and I think we'll definitely give that a try.
Nathan

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 15:11:01 »
Be a bit careful with kids and pine trees, they cause awful rashes if you are working with them. Make sure you have your arms covered at all times.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 18:41:15 »
ACE has highlighted one problem, may I bring your attention to another? unfortunately, these trees are also very prone to being set fire to easily - even when green. They almost explode !
Hopefully, this wouldn't be a problem at your school Nathan... it's just that I suffered this once, when a lad decided to set fire to my much loved planted-out christmas tree. But it is easy to find problems... harder to find solutions... Good luck whatever you do!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal