Author Topic: Dwarf Pomegranate  (Read 1824 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Dwarf Pomegranate
« on: January 03, 2006, 21:20:59 »
I've got some seeds for a dwarf pomegranate so planning to try growing them this year. Germination says 6-12 months! :o Has anyone else tried growing pomegranates?
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

Veggie Mad

• Quarter Acre
Re: Dwarf Pomegranate
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 21:47:49 »
I haven't grown them before but love eating them.  I'll be interested to see if anyone replies with their growing experience.  6 -12 months germination period sounds a bit excessive, don't think I could wait that long.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 22:16:09 »
I also thought it sounded a long time for germination. Hope I have the patience ;D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 23:23:52 »
Haven't grown special pommy seeds Jess, but have lots of normal pommy plants which I grew from seed a couple of years ago.  They didn't take very long to germinate at all,  as I recall, it was only a matter of weeks, they are hardy, and make pretty shrubs.  Now for 11 months of mediternean sunshine and I might be able to pick some fruit!  ;D

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 08:58:27 »
Do you have them growing outdoors EJ? I was going to grow them in a pot in the conservatory (if I can find some space!).

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 10:10:32 »
Yup Jess, out doors year round.  They are deciduous, so loose their leaves leaving lovely yellow stems, then in a couple of months they will be covered in their lime green leaves.  I think mine are 2 years old....but they might be 3.....time runs away from me!

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006, 10:54:16 »
I tried these pomegranate seeds you buy, but didn't have any luck. EJ are you saying you just used seed from a shop bought pomegranate? and also, do you recall how you germinated them? summer, winter, with or without heat?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 12:15:28 »
Late spring time I think Jen, bought a lovley big ripe pommy, ate it, but where I normally chew up the seeds and all, I sucked and chewed gently until I was left with a mouthfull of pommy seeds, all clean.  I then transfered them directly into a seed tray of regular compost, covered and left them in the greenhouse.  No extra heat, no TLC.  I don't tend to mollycoddle plants, so if I am growing them, they have probably just been germinated on the bench of the greenhouse, or in the conservatory.
Once they were big enough to handle, I potted them up and have them in pots around the garden.  My sister has a couple also and she overwinters hers in the greenhouse, but to be honest, I don't think hers are any bigger or better than mine that live in the open.  Mum also has one, which thrives on her neglect!!

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 17:54:37 »
I'm growing pomegranates from a Morrisons fruit,(will let you know what happens). I've grown passion fruit,dates,oranges,lemons,grapefruit,mangoes
and ginger with just a little heat ie next to bedroom radiator!! I'm also growing
apple pips in a cold greenhouse.The plants are doing well,but dont look like apple leaves I've heard they wont come true but I dont mind I just like growing things!!
grow your own way

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal