Author Topic: Which seed potato  (Read 5187 times)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Which seed potato
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2006, 15:43:26 »
Yes, thanks PHil! I found your advice really helpful too.

Glow, fresh manure scorches the tubers so isn't a good idea. Better to rot it down first. When you can't recognise it as manure it's ready for use.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 16:07:06 »
My manure wasn't rotted but it was all I had so it got used.  I grew my spuds on it and loads of other things.  Any port in a storm  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 17:01:26 »
 i grow maris bard,pink fir apple,desiree,ambo,..... all taste fab!!
grow your own way

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 17:44:18 »
I'm having an experimental year (what's new? ;D) : Lady Christl, Kestrel, Pink Fir Apple and Orla + Roseval because they look beautiful and I like the name.  Not sure how it'll turn out on the new plot.

Where are you getting the Roseval seed from?  Think this is the one I was after but couldn't get the seed although somebidy who grows in Scotland and sells them for consumption said I could use theirs as seed.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 17:50:27 »
I got the Roseval from the Organic Gardening Catalogue.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2006, 19:11:09 »
Must have missed them - will have another look  ???
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2006, 20:17:45 »
We grew King Edwards but didn't grow enough as the last ones were used at Christmas.  We also grew Pink Fir Apples and they were delicious.  We still have some stored but they become more difficult to peel when they are older so I may end up cooking them for the chickens. 

Next year we will grow double the amount of King Edwards and enough pfa's to see us through to about October.  I would also like to grow some really early potatoes.  When we were in the Perigord region of France last June, we bought some deep red salad potatoes.  They were delicious.  They were so fresh as the supermarket had automatic sprinklers coming on periodically to water the greengrocery products.  Unfortunately I don't know the name of them as we didn't get the opportunity to go back to that supermarket again.  :'(

I didn't know about Anya potatoes until reading this thread.  Anya is the name of my grandaughter so I have to grow that one.  Can someone please tell me where I can buy them?   :)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2006, 20:22:32 »
Peeling Pink Fir Apple? I have never done this, the thought is like torture. I just give them a scrub with a decent scourer, and either boil, fry or roast them, skins and all ...

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2006, 20:40:14 »
Derek, are the skins not too tough to eat once they have been stored for a few months?  I don't peel them when they are fresh but just wash them and scrape off any loose skin.  I probably didn't word my post properly!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2006, 21:52:37 »
Peeling Pink Fir Apple? I have never done this, the thought is like torture. I just give them a scrub with a decent scourer, and either boil, fry or roast them, skins and all ...

Derek,

That should apply to all varieties, the largest concertration of vitamins etc is juct under the skin, peeling removes that.

With home grown spuds you don't have to worry about what chemical nasties have been applied before, during and after the growing of them so enjoy the taste of the whole spud!!

Just a scrub in cold water to remove the much and then steam, bake, roast or chip

Phil

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2006, 23:19:32 »
I never peel potatoes; I eat the skins while the rest of the family fussily wastes them. I tell them that the skins help them to poo, and it makes no difference.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2006, 23:26:59 »
I didn't know about Anya potatoes until reading this thread.  Anya is the name of my grandaughter so I have to grow that one.  Can someone please tell me where I can buy them?   :)

Dobies advertise them, and so do Thompson & Morgan.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 23:31:16 by jennym »

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2006, 23:45:34 »
Home grown I don't bother to peel, unless they have started to sag at the end of their shelf life, where as shop bought I do peel as you never know what went into them!

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2006, 23:51:03 »
Thank you Jennym.  I will get a brochure from T & M.  Wasn't there something on this forum about Dobies possibly going into liquidation or am I thinking of another company?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2006, 23:56:27 »
Pauline the French salad potato is probably Roseval, attempting to add URL for page with description in Organic Gardenind Catalogue.
http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_47_124_129&products_id=1587http://
« Last Edit: January 06, 2006, 11:31:07 by grawrc »

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2006, 08:58:09 »
I didn't know about Anya potatoes until reading this thread.  ...... Can someone please tell me where I can buy them?   :)

Try the Hampshire Potato Day  ;)

Phil

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2006, 21:29:37 »
I bought some of my seed spuds today, Hurrah! Wasn't expecting them to be out in the GC yet, was only there to buy seeds. Only came away with one bag, but 3 varieties. I ended up with around 3.5kg for £3.99, not too bad I thought :) A bit of a dull selection there though, and I was at a bit of a loss because of my most wanted varieties on my list (charlotte, kestrel, International Kidney, Golden Wonder, Lady Crystl) they only had Kestrel by the tuber.

I was not sure what to get (other than the kestrel) but came away with Kestrel. Nadine and Cara, but I think I am pleased with my choices so far. But I need to go back for some earlies - after payday  ::). Either that or get to the Hampshire potato day  ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal