Author Topic: Kelsae Onions  (Read 1886 times)

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
Kelsae Onions
« on: January 07, 2006, 17:47:36 »
while chatting at the allot. a month ago I was asked if I was going to try anything different this year as I had mentioned the possibility earlier.  I replied that would like to try but done nothing about it and had my order for this years seeds in possesion.  I should have seen it coming but the guys said well we have these onion seed and as I have the greenhouse to bring them on I would be better starting them off.  So iv'e potted two per 3ins. pot and a fill in root trainers in B&Q compost. I would hate anything to happen to them so does anybody know if iv'e done ok with starting them off. Mine is a cold Greenhouse but I have them inside a small plastic greenhouse with an 40watt electric bulb burning inside to take the chilled air from it.
             thanks jock

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
Re: Kelsae Onions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 18:23:06 »
Hi Jock

Are these Kelsae onion seeds?

If so then you might find the following info from the Mr Fothergill's website helpful.

"When to plant outdoors: December to January
How to grow outdoors: Johnsons Seeds recommend: A medium type soil is preferable where possible. Dig in plenty of well rotted manure during the autumn prior to planting out. Keep the onion bulbs well watered. Apply a top dressing of a good general fertiliser. Harvest: Bulbs are ripe when the leaves turn yellow and the skin begins to peel away. Lift carefully and lay in rows to dry out. Store in a dry, airy place."
Hope this helps.
Grawrc

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 20:39:09 »
Jock, Mr W is the onion expert on our plot not me!  Anyway we have grown Kelsaes a few times (lovely and mild especially for onion soup) and he more or less does what you have done but singly in pots (that shouldn't make any difference) and then plants out end March/beginning April at least 9" apart as they can grow to a really good size - good luck and enjoy the soup!!
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 21:57:43 »
thanks for the reply wicker i was hoping not to run and get somemore seed Jock

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal