Author Topic: Muck  (Read 1657 times)

RSJK

• Hectare
  • its great to be on the allotment
Muck
« on: December 31, 2005, 20:39:26 »
Is anyone else on this site finding it harder each year to get cow manure.  In Tamworth where I live a few years back there were loads of cattle farmers about and getting muck was no trouble, now I think we are down to one last farmer with cattle.  He used to pile it up in his fields in a nice big heap, and there was never no trouble in getting it from him in a well rotted state,  but now because of some silly EEC rule he can no longer tip it in fields which his cattle and sheep graze in.  How stupid are these rules do they not realise that the cattle lie on the stuff in the barns over winter to keep them selves warm.

>:( >:(
Richard       If it's not worth having I will have it

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re: Muck
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2006, 11:50:33 »
From what I hear it used to be common on our allotments -now it's more or less unobtainable.

jeremy

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006, 13:04:51 »

Well I was helping out at stables yesterday....and booooooy the muck heap
 is over 30ft high.....and goes back 60ft.....and went digging a core yesterday to inspect what it was like in middle.......its just ripe...black gold !!!!! :o :o ;D ;D

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006, 13:36:18 »
The same here. We always had a big heap in one corner and everybody could take what he/she wanted, the whole year round. But this is the first year that we are not longer allowed to keep manure in a heap on the plot.
That means that when we get the lot, everybody has to take what is needed and put it out on their plots, and sometimes it is not the right time, so gardeners have not room for it. My plot has still many vegetables growing. >:(

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006, 15:18:40 »
Our stables no longer keep the rotted stuff on site, it is removed to a neighbouring farm ... So I can only get the fresh stuff, complete with flies !!!

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006, 22:08:41 »

I think its because they think they have to pay for it....but it is uplifted 3 times a year by the estate......only time it will cost them is if they want it delivered
   which is still cheap at about £20 for 3 tonnes...but bear in  mind wardy...
  must be about 60 horses and ponies and what goes in has to come out....
   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

JAGS

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 01:04:31 »
I am only really bothered about the flies, while the stuff is being bagged then loaded into my car !!!

powerspade

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 10:09:07 »
Our Lottie had a grant last year, we put up a toilet, laid on water, put down a good road. This year we are putting a concrete bay to store Manure. Where I live is the old coal mining valleys of south wales all the pit have gone and nature has reclaimed the place. Kids down here love pony trekking so we have manure in abundance the bay we Will build should take about 30 tons `wow`. We are a small site with only 12 of us on 15 plots so we should be OK  lol

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal