Author Topic: Rescue Yucca  (Read 3012 times)

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
Rescue Yucca
« on: December 29, 2005, 13:10:14 »
I've just rescued a young Yucca plant out of a skip round the corner from where I live. (I know, I know, my Mom's embarrassed to be seen with me if she happens to be with me when I start skip diving... ::))

Thing is I haven't got a clue about houseplants, but I watered it, put in a warm room and it's perked up considerably.  It's got several broken leaves, so I thought I'd ask the audience... 

Should I  A: Leave it as it is  B: Remove the broken bits of the leaf  C: Remove the broken leaf entirely from the stem, or D: Put it back in the skip where I got it from!

(Suspenseful music) I await the results...

(I think I've watching too many episodes of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire!)
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

petuariapete

• Quarter Acre
Re: Rescue Yucca
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 20:46:27 »
I have had Yuccas before, and never really managed to sucessfully nurture them.

I think I tended to over-water mine. My latest is looking distinctly sorry for itself. The top leaves have rotted off. I now water it sparingly, but, as I have gas fire heating, I wonder if this could be contributing to its imminent demise?  Any advice would be gratefully recieved.

Martyn.
 :)
Cauliflower and sprouts are the Devil's banquet!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 20:54:23 »
Hey Mutant...... please, please say what your real name is, I hate calling you Mutant!
My Yucca was looking decidedly erm..poorly, so I tried the axe method.. ;D I brutally cut it in half really... it reeled with the shock, but now, is happy as a yucca can be...
Though I can't back this method up in any way, shape or form....

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 23:34:36 »
I remove sickly leaves back at the stem....

I had one yucca, which was over 6 foot tall, with leaves just at the very top!  Not great for a 5 foot woman, so I severed the  side shoots with the leaves on, cut away a large chunk of the stem, and replanted the top bits in fresh compost, watered, and they are growing like the clappers.  The chunks of stem I trimmed off, I also planted, and as yet....nothing, but they are still green so fingers crossed.  Don't over water or keep them tooo warm, mine are in the conservatory which is heated on the houses central heating, but not on between 10pm and 6am, so chilly as can be!

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 00:39:30 »
EJ's right; yuccas don't need much heat (mne's in an unheated porch, which gets some warmth from the house, so always frost-free). Good light, sparse watering and they thrive. When they get too tall, take a saw to them - old stems will re-shoot, as well.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 09:48:50 »
Are you sure it's the house plant type?
The only reason I say this is that there is a Yucca in my front garden, which gets no special treatment and is out in all weathers. In fact, because it encroached onto the path, I asked my very strong brother in law to chop it down and get rid of it in the summer, but it was hard to get all the root out, and there are now 4 or 5 small ones coming up...

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 10:50:04 »
Business opportunity there Jen, you obviously have a propensity for growing Yuccas ...

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 20:41:27 »
It looks like an indoor type as the plant is in a fancy (albeit cracked) pot and the label is still attached.  Didn't notice until after I posted this thread! ::)

I've put it in a cool room and taken the broken leaves off at the stem.

Thanks to everyone for their advice!  ;D

Dave
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal