Author Topic: dig or no dig  (Read 26130 times)

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
Re: dig or no dig
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2006, 14:16:42 »
 :-[
It'll be better next year

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2006, 16:06:33 »
Please don't all shout at an old woman (mother and grandmother too  :-* ) but I just feel this thread is another where thread discipline should have been used - don't get me wrong I am saying that because I enjoyed the section on education/working parents but could have missed it under Dig or No Dig.  I have my own opinions on these subjects but being conscious of sticking to the thread subject would not feel happy to add to the discussion under the Edible Plants board!!  Love a lively discussion and exhange of opinions - even if I am just listening - but couldn't someone just say "What about moving this to The Shed?" and pick the discussion up there?  See my Ghandi quote below ;)

By the way I am an advocate of digging (regular short periods at a time) and anyway we don't have access to manure, large amounts of compost, leaves etc.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2006, 16:08:43 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2006, 16:13:59 »
I agree with your sentiments Wicker, but I believe that this thread was one of those that sparked Dan's comments ... I may be wrong of course, but I think the timing was about right, hence the subject just expended itself here. There is nothing to stop anyone restarting the relevant topic in the Shed ... I expect that will happen with all subsequent diversions ... I like the quote by the way.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2006, 17:56:33 »
I've been digging today tum-tee-tum, I've been digging today.. ;)

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2006, 17:57:36 »
..interestingly one half of the plot was froxen solid, but the other half felt like sweet loam.. :D :D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2006, 17:59:09 »
Presumably the frozen half was in shadow? or gets wind protection?

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2006, 18:01:53 »
I think it's a mixture of low winter sun and whre the shade is. The non-frozen part gets full sun as long as it lasts (not long in Scotland at this time of year  >:()

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2006, 18:58:29 »
Went down to the allotment too today, grawrc, but ground way too hard to dig (same area as you) - or so I convinced myself - a few other plotholders there too but all just tidying up.  By the way, I know o no "no dig" plots on our site.

Thanks for the courteous reply, Derek - was only joking cos if anyone shouted at me I can shout louder - years of experience  ::)
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2006, 19:11:37 »
I was just digging to get the parsnips out and then tidy up. It wasn't a problem. Then I tried to "reseat" some onions raised by the birds or the frost but they were frozen solidly in place.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2006, 19:31:33 »
No problems with chilled ground here (Coventry), I spent a couple of hours digging out a bit more couch grass. But it was very damp and cold, so pulled some leeks for fresh soup at tea time ... :)

I am always courteous by the way Wicker ...

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2006, 19:51:29 »
Nothing was frozen here, though it was still cold enough for my hands to go numb while I was digging. We had some sleet yesterday, and a little wet snow, but it's long gone.

mat

• Hectare
  • Ryedale, North Yorks. Sandy loam, over sandstone
« Reply #131 on: January 08, 2006, 23:00:01 »
Dig today??? I wish I could have done... but it was not frozen, just pouring with rain and the roads have HUGE areas of standing water, I won't call them puddles, more ponds! :'(  I didn't even bother going to the lottie...  Still it was an excuse to finally go and see Harry Potter...  Umm perhaps I should try some magic on the weather we are getting  ??? ::)

This year I will dig the whole plot, but hope to reduce this digging in future years by the use of beds... depends on how well I can keep on top of the bindweed...

mat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal