Author Topic: Got it!  (Read 1709 times)

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
Got it!
« on: January 14, 2006, 16:37:42 »
V. excited.  Met the allotment man at lunchtime and he showed me my plot!  My plot!  Well it's half a plot actually.  It isn't in bad shape at all as the couple that have the other half used to have the whole plot but decided this year to give up half.  It looks like it was dug last year sometime with just weeds poking through now.  Unfortunately I don't have a shed myself but the allotment man said he imagined the couple wouldn't mind sharing theirs, for a while at least.  I just have to meet them and introduce myself sometime.  There's a bit of a compost heap at the bottom - doesn't look like it's been touched for ages - I couldn't work out if it belonged to my plot or the one next door.

Site seems very low-key and friendly - a few people said hello.  There aren't any rules and regulations really which is great and I hope means everyone is relaxed. 

So what to do now??  I need to buy a few tools - a hoe at least.  I have a spade and fork and a rake.  The plot is long and thin so I think I might go tomorrow and mark out a few beds and take it from there.  My mantra (learnt on here) will be "a little at a time"!

Assuming I get a bed dug over the next week or so - what can I plant first?  I'm very keen to get something in the ground while my enthusiasm is high!

:D
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Re: Got it!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2006, 16:43:32 »

Well done Amanda!
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2006, 16:48:17 »
Congratulations!  Excting isn't it.

So glad the plot isn't in too bad a condition.

I managed last year with a folk, a hoe, a rake and ...

one essential tool a bulb planter!!  Great gadget for all sorts of things, planting as well as weeding!!  ;D

You may not be able to do too much yet if the soil is sticky.  Start collecting loo rolls for those seeds that don't like root disturbance, and milk bottles for mini cloches instead!

Have fun!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2006, 17:00:31 »
;D ;D ;D

How exciting Amanda!!! Seconded re the loo rolls and coke bottles etc for looking after early stuff. I am doing that too. Its sort of my first season too, so have no idea what we should be doing!!

Figure if I just go and dig bits when possible and clear and tidy generally, then when the frost has stopped (about August here in Oldham!!) I should be ready!

Don't forget to just go up and look at it and let yourself dream!!!

Enjoy!!

amanda21

• Acre
  • 40's the new 30 - right?
    • ...and I Hate Worms!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2006, 17:05:01 »
Thanks all.  Re the milk bottle cloches - this is a stupid question I know - but do they have to be clear - for the light?  We get through loads and loads of the plastic milk 'bottles' 2 & 4 pint - will they work?
http://ihateworms.blogspot.com/  - Why then do I so want an allotment?

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2006, 21:19:28 »
Yes enjoy ... and repeat your mantra ...

grotbag

• Hectare
  • granddaughter(miya) in Christchurch,Dorset
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2006, 21:41:29 »
HI Amanda , good luck with your lottie ,dont know bout milk cartons but clear plastic lemonade bottles cut in half are ideal, as for getting stuff in ground now I dont start till Feb at earliest, Im way down south where are you. Good luck

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2006, 21:55:52 »
You might be able to get garlic or shallots in - one of the more experienced members might know? Otherwise it's windowsill time. You can get a mini plastic greenhouse for about twenty quid if the windowsill runs out, though it's probably still too early to use it. Give me a shout if you need seeds or anything :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2006, 23:34:27 »
Really pleased you have your plot Amanda, enjoy it. :)

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2006, 23:53:05 »
Good on yer girl now you will know what hard work is, ;D ;D ;D ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal