Author Topic: Planning for the new season ..  (Read 5312 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Planning for the new season ..
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2005, 10:35:34 »
Aha truly fascinating ! Thank you Jen, and Robert. I had not envisaged morphological dormancy. But then I do not consider myself educated. I should redress that. Is the gravity/moon issue broached upon in traditional horticultural teaching ?

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2005, 10:43:10 »
Quote: Is the gravity/moon issue broached upon in traditional horticultural teaching ?
Not on the course I did, but no doubt someone, somewhere teaches it.

Quote: If I remember right some seeds, such as trilliums, have double dormancy (if that's the right term) and need two cold spells before they germinate.
Not sure about that Robert, not knowing trilliums. I was taught that double dormancy is a combination of any of the dormancy factors listed below.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2005, 12:29:55 »
I have just found this link.  There is a particularly  interesting paragraph on planting seeds, picking fruit, harvesting and even weeding!! 

The bit you need to read starts after a red [4]

http://www.skyscript.co.uk/moonfolk.html
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2005, 13:01:01 »
I'm planning to plant some Trillium seed this year, so I'll find out in due course.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 28, 2005, 13:09:27 »
Thank you

colleenemp

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2005, 08:59:03 »
Wow.... Jennym that was great... I sort of knew bits of it, however it was nice to see the jigsaw completed in your explanation... flowerlady, I really hope that I don't have to worry about what the moon is up to too.... might break me!  :-[

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2006, 19:36:08 »
I've been quite interested in biodynamic gardening for some time but never tried it out.  However, GYO magazine (Jan issue) are running an experiment whereby readers grow a variety of veggies grown biodynamically and others grown the usual way and comparing the crops.  I'm definately going to give it a go.
It'll be better next year

MutantHobbit

• Half Acre
  • There's a bl**dy great big plane near my allotment
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2006, 19:46:38 »
Yeah, I am too.  I thought about scanning it and posting it on the forum for those that were interested. ;D  Sounds like a load of ****, but in the interests of science and to give the old 'uns at the lotty a chance to cheer themselves up laughing at me, I thought I'd give it a go.  ;D

Dunno if Dan the Admin Man allows the posting of scanned articles though.  Copyright issues you know. ::)
Sheldon, Birmingham.  I've put the pin on Google Earth where my shed is, in the allotments.  It's in an area with a satellite photo which is cool!  You can't miss it, there's a bl**dy great big Airport next door!

marshwiggle

• Not So New ...
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2006, 10:48:09 »
I used the lunar gardening calendar (weather permitting)  8) at http://www.ommas-aarden.net/lunar.garden.05.htm. I'm hoping the lady will post a 2006 one shortly. At the very worst, it meant I didn't turn up at the plot with 1,000 things to do if Today was Root Day, so various jobs (like tidying up) got prioritised on various days. Even if it's all twaddle, if it gets you organised, why not? ::)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2006, 22:42:35 »
If I remember right some seeds, such as trilliums, have dounble dormancy (if that's the right term) and need two cold spells before they germinate.

So do peonies: Nothing is visible above ground after the first winter, but they do in fact grow a root (sometimes an amazingly big one!). The shoot appears after the 2nd winter. I've a collection of 3 and 4 year old tree peonies grown from seed. Still years to go before they'll flower!

Good luck with the TRilliums Robert!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2006, 23:36:48 »
What sort of germination rate did you get? I'm very tempted to get some seed from Plants of Distinction.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2006, 19:09:33 »
I've been quite interested in biodynamic gardening for some time but never tried it out. However, GYO magazine (Jan issue) are running an experiment whereby readers grow a variety of veggies grown biodynamically and others grown the usual way and comparing the crops. I'm definitely going to give it a go.

fbg I was given this magazine as a Christmas present.  ( I never knew of it before, I don't buy may mags I'm afraid ) I must say it is an impressive publication.  Shall continue to buy it!!  ;)

Also noted one could send away for this years lunar calendar!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2006, 21:02:04 »
Robert,
I got Paeonia Rockii from Chiltern seeds. Germination was very good. There were only about 8 seeds in the pack and I still have 5 plants (I've traded two I think).

The others have been sown from fresh  seed I collected myself: P. mascula , P. delavayi  ( probably spelling it wrong!) and a yellow one P. lutea. P. lutea grows in my local park and I collect seed every autumn. I still have 19 seeds left from last autumn.  You can have them if you send me a SAE. PM me if you're interested.

NewLottieKim

• Not So New ...
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2006, 11:03:53 »
Hello All Happy New Year to everyone.

Just catching up on all the new posts. This will be my first year of growing veg. I have my plan on paper and have some of my beds nearly finished. the previous owner seams to have planted pots all over this plot. so my plan will be starting my rotation a new as the plot had not been work for a few months. Many of the people in sunny wickham say not to worry to much about rotation just make sure you don't plant the same crops in the same place.

I have order/brought my seeds and I know that when to plant is more to do with the weather but some books say this and others say that a bit confusing. I have a ruff idea when to plant thing as my dad it very helpful.

Derek it would be nice to have a copy of the spreadsheet calculator I have made a started a spreadsheet but it would be nice to compare with other people. I think my Email address is visable

Many Thanks Kim

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal