Author Topic: Gooseberry Sawfly  (Read 2536 times)

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
Gooseberry Sawfly
« on: December 06, 2005, 23:21:18 »
Does anyone know of any preventative measures I can take against this viscious little ****** ? >:(
We planted several varieties in the fruit cage this time last year, with the intention of growing them as cordons. All fine 'till we came back from hols at end of May......utter devastation ! :'(
I would clearly prefer not to repeat this disaster, so any ideas greatly appreciated. Do gooseberry sawfly overwinter in the ground ? Should I dose with derris  before  any sawfly are spotted ? Is there a nematode specifically targetted at gooseberry sawfly ? Should I lie in wait with searchlights, nets, insect spray etc ?

undercarriage plan

Re: Gooseberry Sawfly
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 08:36:51 »
Hey Dad  ???  ;D, well my goosegogs suffer from this every season!! And so far, I have to say I get a bumper crop! They tend to affect mine after the goosegos have been picked, devastate the leaves, but the goosegogs should be ok. The fly lay their eggs in the soil beneath the bush, they turn into little maggots in the soil, crawl up the plant and Bob's your Uncle . What I tend to do though, is loosen the soil under the plant and let the birds have a go. Good luck.
Lottie
« Last Edit: December 07, 2005, 13:41:29 by undercarriage plan »

cheddarpaul

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 11:53:45 »
My goosegogs were hit hard this year (my first year) but the actually berries were unaffected.  The bushes just didnt look too healthy when I was picking the berries (or what was left of them once the blackbirds had their fill grrrrr)

Cheddar, Somerset

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 21:23:12 »
Picking them off by hand works, or soft soap would probably do the trick.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2005, 13:53:07 »
I get this every year too, but have managed to control it for the last 3 years in the following ways:
First, when really cold, I peel back the woven membrane I laid around the bushes and disturb the soil around the base in the hope that some eggs will die or be eaten
Second, as soon as the weather starts to really warm up during May, I inspect the bushes every other day for signs of them, and act as soon as I see them.
Thirdly, I put back into place the black woven membrane and gently shake the bushes, a lot of the larvae fall off, and I can dispose of them, and any left on the leaves I pinch off to kill.
Fourthly, I squirt with jets of water, this knocks them off. they don't seem to get back on if they are more than a couple of feet away.
Hope this helps, it is important to avoid complete defoliation, as this will eventually weaken the plant.

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006, 04:17:23 »
Hi Dadnlad,
                   I don't claim to be the origin of this remedy, it is a tip that i picked up from one of the oldies in our association.

Purchase a one pint plastic bottle, into that put one or two garlic cloves that you have peeled and scored with a knife.

Add water and leave for 2 or 3 days(shake bottle once each day) I use this to deter most insect infestations on my plot.

I am an organic type and have so far been fortunate in using this remedy.

Insects do not seem to like either the odour or being sprayed with garlic water. ;D

PS:- I also use strong salted water in the same manner to kill slugs and their eggs. ;D

PREMTAL

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal