Author Topic: Kit List  (Read 2342 times)

Aeeeek

• Not So New ...
  • Fifi Forget-me-not rocks!!!!........
Kit List
« on: December 23, 2005, 20:56:31 »
Hello ...am new to the making your own malarkey , plot is not up and running yet , but to pass the time and to allow time to scour ebay/second hand shops etc , what basic equipment do I need to make wine...am thinking Rhubarb, Elderberry and p'hraps some veggie ones...only small quantities initially (well only for 'personal consumption'  ;))
The only thing I have done so far is to keep back wine bottles and corks ( or can't you re use corks?)

Also my little terraced house has limited space have choice of loft, shed or pantry ..which is best ???

cheers ( in advance!)

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
Re: Kit List
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 22:17:17 »
Firstly you will need a bucket, preferably with lid, to put in fruit/veg with sugar, water and yeast. You will then need to strain the liquor into demijohn , I use a funnel and old net curtain, then fit a rubber bung with air-lock.

You will need new corks and a corker ( the 2 handled ones are best), lots of bottles and steriliser.

I get most of my bits and bobs from Wilkinsons coz we don't have a homebrew shop near us.

The best place for demijohn is a warm spot to help the wine ferment.

Charity shops can be good places to find demijohns or try www.easybrew.co.uk for supplies.  I ve got plenty of recipes, if you need any just shout!

Good Luck and Enjoy (especially the rhubarb)
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Kit List
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 23:48:12 »
Delilah has told it correctly ... but I have found an alternative way of storing the wine, using old plastic pop bottles. These have the advantage of being plastic, so you can bung them in the freezer to chill the white wines, and if the fermentation is not quite finished, you dont end up with exploding bottles, although this has never happened to me ... You can always fill one or two glass bottles just for those special occasions, or to keep the wine for longer storage. Not that mine gets any storage if you know what I mean ... Choose a warm place for fermentation, then a cool place eg pantry for storage.

Derekthefox

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal