Author Topic: Another type of Hoe ...  (Read 2707 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Another type of Hoe ...
« on: December 22, 2005, 20:58:32 »
I was discussing the stirrup Hoes mentioned by Sexy Snail this morning, and another type of hoe was mentioned that was considered extremely effective for weed removal.

This hoe was described as having a wire 'blade' which slices weeds with ease. I listened with fascination then raced into the workshop to see if I could turn my thoughts into real hardware.
An hour or so later, the following was my creation ...  The wire is laced onto screws and nuts fastened at the sides. I will be fitting a handle shortly.
I have no idea whether it has a particular name, but I hope to christen it over the holiday period ...

Derekthefox :D
« Last Edit: December 22, 2005, 21:04:15 by Derekthefox »

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Re: Another type of Hoe ...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 21:36:03 »
I have to say that certainly looks like it should be effective!   YOu could be entering entrepreneurial (can never spell that!) territory...
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 21:58:51 »
I doubt that Icy, I presume it has already been patented. The information was gleaned from someone who had used such a hoe at a horticultural college ... Anyway, my heart is only on making things now, as a labour of love, not for gain ... I will be making two of these, one for me, the other for a friend.

the_snail

• Hectare
  • Be Kind to Slugs and Snails! :)
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2005, 04:14:06 »
Well done. I have never used or seed a hoe like that before. I prosume it will be most effective. If the wire is strong then it should be ok on stoney ground.

Good work!  :)

The_Snail
Be kind to slugs and snails!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2005, 09:03:21 »
Yes, the proof is in using it, but as an engineer I am well used to carrying out objective evaluations ... I am pleased that this is my creation, alas the idea came from elsewhere ... however that is synergy so I should be pleased with that too ...

Derekthefox

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2005, 14:20:23 »
I have carried out preliminary trials, and determined that some adjustments are in order. I will need access to my workshop at work to carry these out, so the project is temporarily in abeyance ...

Derekthefox

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 16:40:05 »
to me, it looks like the wire would easily become fatigued from the movements and snap.

it would need a very strong metal, hmmm,  cheese wire stuff maybe??  again dont know how that owuld work on soil though.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2005, 17:27:07 »
Yes Adam, the wire I use is stainless, which has a very high tensile strength. The design presumes that the wire WILL need to be replaced , just like strimmer blades.

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2005, 17:36:43 »
ah yes.  good to hear then D  ;D

You could use heavy duty strimmer wire, thats some of the toughest stuff i seen.  you can get nylon stuff or proper wire.   i aint seen it snap yet, it jyst round off too much over time.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 19:01:35 »
That sounds good Adam, but I just happen to have a reel of this stainless wire, and I know it has a phenomenal breaking strain ... so it makes sense to use it.

daveandtara

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 23:52:03 »
you know, the problem i have is that my hoe gets very quickly caked in heavy clay.
i wonder if wire hoe might prove more efficient?
derek, if you (or anyone else) ever uses one on clay please do let me know.
well done derek, it must be lovely to be able turn inspiration into usable tools so quickly! sadly i have niether the skills or the space!
Tara xx

purple sprouting

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2005, 22:28:47 »
Wow!!!

What a wonderful tool......................

Derek......haven't had time to visit my 'lottie' yet, but as my family is coming to the end of the 'christmas food' I would like to congratulate your wonderful invention that can double as a 'cheese wire' and 'melon slice'.

Well done!!!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 01:34:18 »
Tara, once I get the thing working properly, I will take it up to the top plots, where they have some nasty red clay. I will see how it fares, and report back.  Watch this space ...

I was wondering purple, whether I could also use it to peel my veg before taking them home  ;D

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 18:54:05 »
Looks good.  Don't laugh at me coz I am not a techie like you  ...... but could you not use a hack saw blade type thingy in place of the wire ??  Would that do the biz ??  See, you've got me thinking now and that is highly dangerous.   ;D
Get with the beat Baggy

adam04

• Hectare
  • Who are you?
    • FedEx VG
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 19:16:21 »
you can cut small trees down then aswell!!  ;D ;D ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006, 01:46:51 »
It all comes down to your own inventiveness Baggy, wire, or blade, who cares... if it hoes the ground !!!

I can dream Adam !!!

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006, 13:10:59 »
I'm not in the slightest bit inventive (would love a cheese cutter hoe) but thought the blade would have less chance of stretching, albeit mor echance of breaking ?
Has it had it's maiden voyage yet ?
Get with the beat Baggy

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006, 15:10:54 »
Hacksaw blades are extremely brittle, so yes are prone to breaking ...

I tried the prototype version 1 before Christmas, and determined some detailed changes are necessary. I can do these in my workshop when I get back to work on Tuesday.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal