Author Topic: new allotment (preparation)  (Read 7946 times)

john_miller

• Hectare
Re: new allotment (preparation)
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2005, 16:16:30 »
Someone on our allotments has offered to lend a flame gun thing, I wondered what that was all about. Does it really work? And am I in danger of burning down everyone elses plots? Do you burn it all off, then dig as normal?
Used for what it was intended for flame guns work really well. They are intended to dessciate weed seedlings, not to incinerate mature plants. They are very fast, you can almost go at walking speed, and non selective (don't use too close to crop plants!). Any attempt to use one to duplicate primitive slash and burn techniques misses out on the slash part which, as the phrase suggests, was done first. As terces plot is virgin, probably full of seeds, he would most likely benefit greatly from using one as the council has done the "slashing".

terces

• Not So New ...
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2005, 20:59:47 »
Not sure I know what DMS is. Is this some sort of bag that goes over your shoes?

The council have already strimmed everything doen to about 2 inches so there won't be much substance to the scrapings and I think it might be a bit damp to have a bonfire, although the flame thrower idea seems good!

Just bought a 12' X 7' poly tunnel thingy so I intend to start sowing in late Jan.  I just have to wait for approvel of where I want it to be put.  I am thinking of using grow bags and intend to grow tomatoes, melons (water and suger), cumcumbers. gherkins and bell peppers.   

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2005, 22:45:30 »
DMS = Doc Martins ... ie boots !!!!

I hate Doc Martins actually, I prefer real indistrial boots, but I do have a large pair for when I go out at night (not that I ever do now).

Derekthefox

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2005, 23:04:37 »
OK for my post then substitute strimmings for scrapings.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

terces

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2005, 10:39:24 »
Industrial boots sounds good.  Anything that doesn't clog up too much.

The council have already taken the strimmings away redglanger.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2005, 18:55:26 »
Anything at all will clog up when the ground gets all wet.
Shame on the scrapings ...

Derekthefox

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal