Author Topic: Missing birds.  (Read 14089 times)

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
Re: Missing birds.
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2005, 20:09:13 »
   I also have a small ceramic pot of mixed seed (50/50 general wild bird mix and Robin mix) under an up turned wire hanging basket.  

that's a good idea TL ~i'll give it a go :)
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2005, 21:32:40 »
I know the reason Pauline and Why I do not get many birds at all really.   The bleeding 'SPARROWHAWK'  sits on a tree at the bottom of our garden and waits and waits and watches.  She was sat there this whole morning.  I was out 3 times yelling at her but she was back in 5 mins.  So you see I cannot win, birds aint daft.  I do have the blackbirds eating at the back door feeding station but again usually first thing in the morning, as the day goes on they disappear again probably cos of the Sparrowhawk being up and about.

I have a sparrowhawk too.  Ours flies the whole length of the village along the boundary of peoples gardens and the farmers field.  I often see it at the end of our paddock causing havoc amongst the birds but only once have I seen it sitting within 15 feet of my feeding station.  I have a love/hate relationship with it and at the end of the day convince myself that it has a right to exist.  It is certainly spectacular to watch.  Can we condone the sparrowhawk when mankind also kills other animals for food?

There is a kestrel that sits on my chicken shed or on the telegraph pole just inside the farmer's field or on top of an old chimney on an outhouse in our paddock.  He only consumes those with 4 feet and a long tail so is very welcome in my garden.

Pauline

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2005, 22:07:09 »
Yes I know the Sparrowhawk needs to eat as well, its just I wish it didn't use that silver birch tree to sit on for hours at a time.  It does move around the village as well but it seems to choose my garden because of the feeding stations I expect.  I also have a Kestrel which hovers above my garden but they are welcome.  I am in a rural setting too, being the last house on the end of our village with fields surrounding me.  You should ahve seen the lady pheasants this morning as well.  They were sauntering down the garden right up to the Sparrowhawk where she was perched.  they froze, then carried on eating.  It was quite funny.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2005, 22:19:53 »
Lots of  great ideas and not expensive. (I have a couple of spare hanging baskets so can try that immediately)  A real thank you to all who have posted. Regards ....Lorna.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2005, 08:49:05 »
Hi Lorna...same here...all starlings...can't actually see my feeding station, it's at the bottom of the garden.
Just been down ( in dressing gown and jym jams?) with fat ball mix and defrosted cherries and sloes.
Know it will all be gone in an hour or two and hope it's only the birds.
Too many cats here to feed closer, tho do have a long thin metal stake .
p.s.... light snow here in w.norfolk.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2005, 09:01:02 »
Hi Ken. Yes we have light snow here in March. As I said previously the starlings seem to nest in chimneys. I do think the lack of hedgerow has a lot to do with missing birds but going to have a real try to encourage other birds. Best wishes Lorna.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2005, 09:33:43 »
..er....March, Lorna...tis December. ;)

This took before Christmas, but too near cats so moved it further down nearer Golden Leylandii to give birds and escape route.....

[img width= height= alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a48/ken69/starlings003.jpg[/img]

Just been down the garden , mainly starlings but some blackbirds. Must keep up the feeding now til warmer weather.Can't afford special seed, tho thinking of gathering hay seed and whatever next year from my ex allotment, which is destined for building.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2005, 10:07:58 »
Ah Ken, silly old me, perhaps that is why my seeds don't germinate, I try to sow them in March.!! You wait until you arrive at the next decade you may sympathise with me then ;D ;D ;D

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2005, 11:20:01 »
Know what you mean Lorna. Have folks in March. Sorry about the picture size. Have one of a narrowboat on March river (Fox's?) but dare not post it until learnt to re-size. Cheers for now.I know the trail going east out of your town under a black bridge and along to the new wind turbines.

Dominique

• Not So New ...
« Reply #49 on: December 27, 2005, 12:17:59 »
After reading that thread a week ago, I put apples out for the blackbirds, on the ground.  Had previously been ignored on the bird table and ended in the compost. 
Been out this morning to replenish the seed feeders, put more 'fat cakes' in the branches.  Not ONE bird has touched the apples(not homegrown, supermarket stuff).  Yikes. 
D

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2005, 15:48:04 »
In the 20 or so years I've been feeding birds apples have always been ignored - the blackbirds much prefer "cornflake"-like seed in the various mixes available, presumably because it's far more concentrated food. The only apple that was eaten was one left on a tree a few years ago, which one bird found and came back to every night until it was gone - but this was September-October, not winter.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2005, 16:42:24 »
I have a beautiful thrush in my garden and he's been sheltering on my bird table all day.  All the chicken I put out for all the birds he's scoffed and he's plumped up his feathers and is lying low.  I hope he's quite well and just too stuffed to do much else than flake out on my bird table  :) 
I came, I saw, I composted

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2005, 17:15:28 »
I saw my lovely fat robin again today and a blue tit.   :D

Then I spotted an unknown bird on the fence.  It didn't stay long enough for me to get a good look but on flicking through my bird book the closest I can see to the correct size and colouring is a snow bunting.  Is this possible in London?

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2005, 17:22:33 »
Wardy and  Georgie. In the words of Tommy Trinder  YOU LUCKY PEOPLE> I will keep trying

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2005, 17:30:43 »
Yes do, Lorna.  I get very few birds in my tiny garden but I never give up trying to attract them and even spotting one or two a day is a delight, I think.  I love this thread, so interesting to hear of other's experiences and hints and tips.   :)

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2005, 21:00:17 »
my blackies adore apples as well as all the food that i put out
mr&mrs blackie were tucking into duck & bacon fat the other day ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2005, 21:57:25 »
Maybe its the North/south split again.  Northern Blackbirds adore the apples.  Know mine do. 

;D ;D ;D ;D

Twospot Ladybird

• Acre
« Reply #57 on: December 28, 2005, 10:36:40 »
Don't think it's a North/South split Carol, I'm in the North and my Blackies tend to ignore apples.

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #58 on: December 28, 2005, 11:08:02 »
Maybe blackbirds are really fussy and whether or not they get eaten could be dependent on the particular variety put out for them.

ken (69)

• Acre
« Reply #59 on: December 28, 2005, 11:47:03 »
Poor little beggers, they are queuing up on the fence, have loadsa apples, which they wont touch, so just going now to get cheap bread (do you remember not so long ago in a price war when it was 7p, now 25pence). Might have to cook some taters for 'em.
Frozen snow laying here.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal