Author Topic: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.  (Read 328996 times)

Harry

• Quarter Acre
Re: A place for newbies to introduce themselves.
« Reply #1020 on: March 07, 2023, 19:02:02 »
Congratulations Carloso.  Let the fun begin.

Harry - the compost you spread on cardboard is usually the stuff from your own heap so I'd make starting a composting heap a priority.  You'll have plenty pf material to fill it with a good mix of brown and green material.
Welcome Carloso, :wave:

Thanks Obelixx,
I'm keen to get composting, but I draw a blank on the 'have plenty of material'
I've found a couple of sources of horse muck ( fresh and rotted ), and there's some autumn leaves nearby, but my own plot will only be contributing weeds for this year*. I did find with my home compost bins that they have a capability for absorbing everything I can find to put in them, but never seem to get full. I get a bit cheesed off watching the whole estate putting out their brown bins every fortnight, full of stuff I'd happily take for my heap. I would like to get a roaring hot fast heap. ASAP.

Most of all, I need to accept that Rome wasn't built in a day.

A neighbouring lotter (is that the word) told me that my plot has not been 'fed' for three years. That could be a problem as I don't want to spend a lot on fertilizer or compost.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #1021 on: March 07, 2023, 20:01:25 »
I thought you said your plot was overgrown.  Strimming that low down would provide green waste.  Then you can fork out any roots you're worried about "propagating".   Anything you're worried about can be left aside to dry out and then it will be brown stuff.
Obxx - Vendée France

Harry

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #1022 on: March 08, 2023, 22:41:24 »
I thought you said your plot was overgrown.  Strimming that low down would provide green waste.  Then you can fork out any roots you're worried about "propagating".   Anything you're worried about can be left aside to dry out and then it will be brown stuff.
Unfortunately in my enthusiasm id   chucked lots of weed roots on the heap alongside the top growth

JanG

• Hectare
  • Gardening on fen silt
« Reply #1023 on: March 09, 2023, 06:06:39 »
I think weed seeds in compost are more of a problem than weed roots because they can’t be seen. Any weed roots which don’t break down can usually be spotted and turfed out later, before spreading the compost.

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #1024 on: May 20, 2023, 13:48:17 »
Hello all,

I’m an old newbie! I used this site about 10-15 years ago for lots of seed swapping with the likes of @daughterofthesoil - Rebsie, @saddad and Others - anyone still around?

Wondered if anyone remembers Dave from the USA who had literally thousands of lost varieties? He sent me about 100 pea varieties back in the day and I passed some to the HSL and this year some were reintroduced!

Anyway just wondering if anyone is still around ?

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #1025 on: May 20, 2023, 20:15:15 »
I was certainly  a member back then too!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #1026 on: May 20, 2023, 21:29:51 »
I’m still around! Joined about 2006 I think…. :wave:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #1027 on: May 21, 2023, 09:22:05 »
After 20 years I'm still here too and check in every day to see how our little community is doing. Age has caught up with me though so I am lucky to have John, who comes  by regularly to keep my raised veggie beds producing. He plants out and takes care of the seedlings I still nurture from seed so that I'm still able to enjoy the gardening season and we both fill our freezers at harvest time.  :icon_cheers:.

Tricia  :wave:

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #1028 on: May 21, 2023, 12:15:00 »
Just realised I rejoined in 2003! My original registration went wrong and no longer worked.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #1029 on: May 22, 2023, 00:49:52 »
I've been here since 2004 too so welcome back.  There are a few of us checking in, it's lovely to know we are all still going! Might not post so often but all the info is here to look back at :)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #1030 on: May 22, 2023, 09:46:43 »
April 2006 for me

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #1031 on: May 24, 2023, 20:18:52 »
I'm still around, but no idea when I joined....

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #1032 on: May 24, 2023, 20:46:34 »
Saddad, you joined August 22nd 2005  :glasses9:. I checked. - Two years after me!

Tricia  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal