Author Topic: A couple of recent projects in My Garden  (Read 1977 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
A couple of recent projects in My Garden
« on: December 17, 2005, 18:18:51 »
The following album is some before and after pictures of a couple of recent projeects i have been working on in my garden.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v159/richardfiler/Garden%20Projects/

The first is the area outside the conservatory, now dubbed 'the conservatory bed' This as you can see from the before pics full of established shrubby planting which predated the conservatory. This not only cut out light but blocked the vewi up the garden and ont the newly built bog garden.

We decided to remove the big plants lower the bed level and replant with lower ground cover plants. The log roll edging was moved back to retain the new upper level in front of the bog garden.

Its not quite finished off yet. it needs more plants and since the last photos were taken we have decided to put in a new pond next to the bog garden (between the bog and the alpine/rock bed) to replace the rather makeshift 'pot pond' we had before (which failed because it leaked!). Progress on this has been slow and theres not much to show yet.

The second set features an area up the top of the garden by the back fence. Here we had a short but steeply sloping bank which was difficult to mow in front of what we call the 'top fence border' Back in July we decided to take up the grass and put in a second border on a lower level to the original as a way of 'loosing' the grass and widening the border at the same time.

This has taken more work than expected since the soil was poor and compacted beneath the grass (LOTS of double digging required!). Still it was ready by autumn and have since added some of the structural planting (quite a few moved from other parts of the garden where they had outgrown their old homes, hence why it looks quite mature). Recent work has involved linking this new border up with an ajoining island bed and laying out a path between for access.

Well thats about it (dont THINK i have missed anything! ;D).

I hope you appreciate this contribution to 'the Gallery'. Feel free to ask questions.

Edit: In case you were wondering what was all wrapped up in fleece, its a recently moved holly. I have added some pictures taken before i wrapped it up just to show you what it looks like.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2005, 11:56:24 by Garden Cadet »

undercarriage plan

Re: A couple of recent projects in My Garden
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2005, 11:48:32 »
Phew, I'm so glad you said that...thought I was being denser than normal!!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2005, 11:58:39 »
Apologies to all. No you werent missing anything. I typed out the message last night but didnt get time to add the link to the album. I have now done this so you should be able to see the pictures now.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2005, 18:05:03 »
Hello Wardy. Thanks for the reply.

Yep all plants home grown. So much so that the place looks like a nursery sometimes! Keep meaning to do something about the 'spares' but never seem to get around to it. I love making plants for free!

Under the fleece is a 'hedgehog' holly recently moved. i think i included a picture in the album  :-\.

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2005, 18:43:12 »
Really nice photos - your garden looks great Richard.  All your hard work has really paid off, well done :)
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005, 00:09:11 »
Great piccys  :)

Plant swop - now thers a good idea ;D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005, 10:13:05 »
Plant Swap. I like that concept. Have done since the Gardeners World team started doing it at GW Live. Would prefer to exchange rather than sell and buy anew.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005, 11:27:13 »
GC

Excellent...... 8)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005, 20:26:26 »
Having just decided to visit this board, I am very impressed - I have been missing a lot ... Well done Garden Cadet

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal