Author Topic: Leeks  (Read 4520 times)

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Leeks
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2005, 21:47:48 »
Tim  Why did you have to resort to shop bought leek and potato soup?  Have you no spuds or leeks?  If not could you not forego that soup and choose another for which you have fresh produce?

I came, I saw, I composted

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2005, 08:47:57 »
Ouch!! Sore spot. JUst finished our leeks - one batch got the rot even in a new bed. Yes we have potatoes, but the carrots & celeriac are being very slow. And that's the lot! And, actually, I was testing the soup for veggie Daughter.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2005, 08:52:20 »
Wow Tim, you have my commiserations there. Leek and potato soup is one of my delights at this time of year.

Derekthefox :D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2005, 09:23:17 »
Tim you could resort to using just spuds as per M & S very expensive King Edward soup with onion  ;D 

My husband bought some very recently and got told off for his trouble.  He's always doing that.  Could have chosen asparagus or broc as I don't have those but spuds and onions piled high  ;D

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2005, 22:35:25 »
Just had lovely leeks for tea, cooked with white wine and cream.

Alice  (my daughter) and I went out with a torch to pick the leeks.  Luckily our Lottie is through a gate at the bottom of the garden.
Nathan

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2005, 06:32:45 »
:)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006, 09:46:47 by GREENWIZARD »
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2005, 08:35:20 »
Leeks with cream and wine sounds like my kind of food  ;D  I have to make leek and pot soup today for my niece who's been very ill.  She's eating her way back to good health she says  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2005, 08:56:26 »
Leeks do figure strongly in my list of comfort foods. Would you believe I never had eaten them until I got married ?

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2005, 13:40:17 »
Anyone ever come across leeks with coriander???? Must admit, it's not my most fave leek recipe, but if you've a glut, an edible alternative.......give it a go? It's another Italian one......

Cut the leeks into 4 & put in pan with olive oil, coriander seeds, white wine, water (half-and-half), s&p, bayleaf.......

Bring to the boil & cook without lid, stirring carefully, until leeks are cooked & juice reduced.
S'OK.......

But salmon oven-baked on a bed of leeks........heaven!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2005, 16:17:13 »
Leeks with coriander is a new one by me, but since we are always fully stocked with 'indian' spices, it is not a problem to try ...

Salmon on the bed of leeks, YES, that does indeed sound like heaven ... I would have to cook a whole salmon of course ...

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2005, 13:48:58 »
I've made a couple of dauphinois-type potato bakes (sliced potato with cheese sauce) and have put sweated-down sliced leeks in-between the layers - YUM!
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2005, 14:49:08 »
Salmon on leeks gorgeous, and leeks in a cheese sauce and spuds sounds like heaven  :)  The leeks I picked yesterday were frozen and snapped off  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2005, 15:21:49 »
Hmmm there's a thought, can pick some leeks on the way home, Leek and Potato soup for tea ... I think we have some cheesy bread in the freezer ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal