Author Topic: Winter digging  (Read 4157 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Winter digging
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2005, 08:47:18 »
Yes I agree on the spring digging, but I just go over with  fork, almost just 'flicking' the soil over, as it is already turned and relatively loose ...

Derekthefox :D

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2005, 09:06:50 »
Hi all,  :D
                Reading through this thread, I am surprised at no mention of green manures, my plot is divided into 16 beds, and those that have not got crops in are covered in various green manures, ie mustard, red clover, field beans.  I understand that this serves various purposes, preventing nutrients leaching from the soil, generating nitrogen etc. These green manures will be dug into the soil in the spring prior to sowing & planting . Surely this must be the best way to plan your digging ???
                              Adrian.

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2005, 11:37:07 »
Have been down to our site yesterday and Sunday - and have come to the conclusion that some people dig for cosmetic purposes only, or to show off how good they are at digging.  ;D Immaculately dug and orderly - but nothing growing anywhere, what's the point?
I'm a dig as little as possible person. My plot was very heavily covered in bindweed and turning it over and removing the roots has certainly helped reduce it. Ditto docks etc. Like Wardy, quite a lot of my ground is currently in use, though I do have spare space. After 2 years my soil texture is improving enormously, so hope to get to the no dig position shortly. See Bob Flowerdew's article in the current KG mag.
We've had lovely mountains of stable manure delivered to our site - so my exercise has been of the barrowing variety!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2005, 11:46:41 »
Perhaps one day I will organise a system whereby green manures will be incorporated, but I haven't worked that one out yet ...

Derekthefox :D

plot51A

• Hectare
  • Norfolk - we do diff'rent!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2005, 13:38:02 »
Hi Wardy!
January 2006 issue - Front cover says Grow all of these fruits....pretty pic of fruits....DON'T DIG your plot says Bob Flowerdew on bottom right corner. P16-18 for the article. You will love it.  Quote: Dig for exercise if you must, but for no other reason: unquote.

reedos

• Half Acre
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2005, 16:36:18 »
I've tried a little experiment this year, having two plots joined together I've dug beds in one of them and covered them with manure, the other is being left undug and covered with manure. I'll let you know the results.
Thing is I quite like digging

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2005, 08:28:42 »
Wardy,

you don't have to dig green manure in, some of it the frost will kill off and you just leave it dead on the top, others you cut down and then cover the bed a month or two before you want to use it.

I did the latter with Grazing Rye last year, sowed in late autums let it grow till feb/march then cut it down (can't remeber now whether I left the stuff on the bed or put it on the compost heap) and then covered the bed for a couple of months before using it.

Jeremy

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2005, 10:54:52 »
I don't do green manures as I can't dig em in ....

Wardy, you might like to try poached egg plant as a green manure? I use this because you don't have to dig it in - it pulls up easily or can be hoed off, leaving the roots in. Or if you just leave it to die down - about June/July, it forms a mat of dried leaves which still suppresses weeds. I do this, and also use sheet mulch, it all works pretty well.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2005, 15:07:11 »
I think I might try incorporating poached egg green manure as part of my four part planting regime ...

carloso

• Acre
  • sprouts gimmie wind
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2005, 19:55:32 »
better still frost breaks the ground up for you with a good ole dig !!!
another member of i forgot my password

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2005, 09:24:44 »
Like Adrian, I'm doing my digging for a more immediate purpose.  The beds that I have been preparing have not been idle - I also have been planting green manure.  I have a heavy clay soil, and read somewhere that a green manure could help my soil and add air and fibre to it.

I have planted two green manure crops this winter (my first winter): 6 weeks ago, I sowed some Winter Field Beans, and more recently, I have sown a mustard.  I was a little disheartened recently, as nothing had yet broken the surface, so yesterday, I stuck a fork into one of my bean patches, and lo!  There they all were, with a good 2" of root, and a good 1 1/2" of sprouting shoot!

I went to the pub immediately after my work was finished yesterday, and celebrated my first success with a few pints of beer (for medicinal purposes, you understand!).

It makes the 40+ hours of intense digging / weeding SO much more worthwhile, now that I can see that my labours have not gone unrewarded.

Keep on digging!

Jimbo
From the virtual quill of the Splott-Lotter

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2005, 12:39:30 »
better still frost breaks the ground up for you with a good ole dig !!!
The roots of green manure plants will do the same thing, although some are more effective than others, plus the ground will benefit from the organic matter. Perhaps you could use the time saved digging for a bike ride or walk? You may also get extra exercise in the spring as digging in green manure will take more work than digging bare ground.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal