Author Topic: Winter digging  (Read 4158 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Winter digging
« on: December 11, 2005, 22:33:38 »
When do you do yours? Sorry if this has been discussed before. Last year we prepared the ground in late Jan/early Feb. because that's when we got the allotment. We had imagined the term "winter digging" to mean it's done in the winter, but a lot of the other allotmenteers near us seem to have done it ages ago, but we were still harvesting then, and I can't see the ground being diggable now for months. Have we left it too late to get the most benefit?

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
Re: Winter digging
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 23:34:29 »
I do it for my own benefit to keep fit.

Activities such as running are just a waste of energy.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2005, 07:55:52 »
Agony Wardy? Not at all!!!

Caroline, mine spreads from October through to February or even March, depending upon access, I could not do all or mine in one go without killing myself !!!

RW, you obviously don't run, so why knock it. It is an excellent form of cardio=vascular exercise, and is easily accessible.

Derekthefox :D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2005, 11:40:10 »
I don't really dig mine until spring - I might occasionaly do a bit in autumn, but certainly didn't this year as I was on holiday.
Also, it doesn't all need digging - although I'm on heavy clay, where the soil has been improved with various manures, it really only need disturbing if I want to kill slug eggs etc.
But the winter freezes and thaws do help to break down heavy clods of clay though.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2005, 12:04:50 »
I suppose much depends on the type of soil?,mine is very light and can be dug anytime unless frozen.

Talking of which I am getting some enthusiasm back and spent an hour and a half this morning getting a well neglected garden slowly back to something for next year.

Might even go to the gym this evening-I could do with it :)

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2005, 12:44:28 »
The purpose of winter digging as I understand it is:

1) To allow the frost to break up the soil so as to improve the tilth of the soil prior to spring planting.

2) To allow the frost to destroy any pests that are overwintering in the soil.

So basically anytime before last frost and I should imagine that the more frosts that work on the soil the better, hence the early you dig the better, but no time is too late unless it's after last frost

MikeB

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 12:50:30 »
The other issue Mike is time management, many of us cannot do all our digging prior to planting out, the spring is just too busy.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2005, 12:53:51 »
Why what happens in spring? :D :D :D :D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 14:41:04 »
 ::) ::) ::)
I dig when hit by digging urge, has deserted me for now, but am hoping to resume after Christmas, or not as the case may be....... I'm attempting covering this season, and much less digging, so hopefully I'll only have one small patch left to do...

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 14:50:28 »
It is the preposition which is missing, the advice given is about digging FOR winter. We tend to  dig over as we remove crops. The only part left unused over Winter is where next seasons potatoes are to go. That area is covered in compost which is dug in as the pots are planted.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 14:55:45 »
In an ideal world, I would follow those rules Eric, but most of my winter digging is concerned with removing perennial weeds ...

Lottie, I recognise your temporary abatement of digging, would this have anything to do with this wierd fixation some folk have towards a festivity known as Christmas ... ?

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2005, 15:02:08 »
Palustris

Without starting the crop rotation discussion again, I would say about 2/3 rds of my veg plot is empty at this moment.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 15:11:00 »
Mine is about the same MikeB, perhaps three quarters ...

undercarriage plan

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2005, 15:12:43 »
Erm no Derek.....think it's technical term is plain old laziness!!  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2005, 15:36:39 »
Ha ha well I have that in abundance, I can't even blame the instinct to hibernate ...  ;D

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2005, 19:56:06 »
I'm with Derek on this - digging is a marvellous form of exercise, but not the only one, RW.

As a Newbie, I have found that digging is invaluable for many reasons (besides exercise!).

1. Airation of my soil (as my plot is compacted, heavy clay)

2. Removal of perennial weed (as it is a new plot)

3. Excavation of glass / brick / metal objects / rolls of wallpaper / bed-springs, etc., left to me by a previous occupant (thank you, whoever you are!)

4. It helps me to get to know my plot, as each area seems to have slightly different characteristic, probably owing to previous crops in different beds and additions to the soil

Oh, and one more thing . . .

It gets me on my lottie at a relatively quiet time of the year, allowing me to meet my new 'die-hard' lottie neighbours and benefit from their vast experience and knowledge.

As my plot is a good two miles away from my home, I also have been known to run there and back, as if the digging wasn't arduous enough!

Keep running, Derek, and do you fancy the Cardiff Marathon next year, Mate?

Jimbo (the Splott Lotter Trotter!)
From the virtual quill of the Splott-Lotter

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2005, 20:46:10 »
That's what I like to hear- no definitive answer! Think I'll go with the "when the urge strikes" school of digging! A lot of ours has been covered in plastic since before we took it over- so the weeds shouldn't be too bad, I hope!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2005, 23:47:34 »
Glad to hear you are enjoying the digging Jimbo, that is the bit that many find distasteful ... As for the running, well it is a bit thin on the ground at the moment, with the weather and dark nights and a heavy cold ... but I hope to get back into it properly fairly soon. As for the Cardiff next year, well that is a long way off yet, so we will see ... I am feeling the pain of putting my 50 year old body through its paces for this one !!!

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2005, 00:11:29 »
I do run and it is enjoyable. Done the half marathon which nearly killed me.

Digging in the winter is great. You see the results for a long time - no weeds growing for ages. But in spring I still need to dig the same areas again although it is much easier having done it during the winter.

While digging I also collect worms for the hens.

MikeB

• Hectare
  • Harleston, Norfolk
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2005, 08:29:03 »
Hi Wardy,
Like you I got winter onions, broccoli, chad, Brussels, cabbage etc. This is basically my brassica group (not the onions which are in what will be the tomato patch in june) and so only forms a 1/4 of my plot.  The roots I have harvested and made into my own 'stew' packs for the winter casseroles.  The rest of the vegetable area is bare, but dug, limed, fertilised and manured where required.  OK I have the fruit and flower area which still have vegetation, but these are not really the veg plot.

MikeB

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal