Author Topic: I know a shortcut!  (Read 2682 times)

ACE

• Hectare
I know a shortcut!
« on: December 11, 2005, 18:40:25 »
How many times have those few words got me into trouble with the Ayatollah in pink knickers? Well not anymore she has got me a sat/nav device to put in the motor. Although it is for xmas I had to have a trial run today and it is marvelous. A nice lady tells me when to turn left or right and if I do turn the wrong way she calmly recalulates my route without  all the usual caustic remarks.

We can now go out visiting without arriving late and both talking to each other at the end of the trip.

She even tells me where all the nice 'safety cameras' are. She hasn't got a name yet . But I expect you lot could come up with a suitable monicker .

Lorna2

• Not So New ...
  • Singing to a friend on his 75th b'day
Re: I know a shortcut!
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2005, 18:47:14 »
Ace. I think they are marvelous. My son put one in his car. (God knows why he knows nearly all the country. due to us having a haulage business in the past)
Anyhow he does love new toys so he has now put a computer in his car which is a sat nav and goodness knows what else, I think it does all the things a computer does,dab screen for this dab screen for that. Anyhow I am hoping to visit a friend from A4A next year so he said he will put the old sat nav in my car for me.With a bit of luck will take me straight to her door ::)

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 18:50:26 »
Sounds wonderful, but I think my OH would miss me sending him everywhere but where we were meant to be.....kinda become a holiday ritual... ::) And Lorna, you won't need that!! I'll send you map... ;D ;D ;D ;) I'm sure you're brimming with confidence now....

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 20:35:46 »
I bought one twelve months ago and travelling with the Governor has suddenly become pleasurable... not that it wasn't before...of course  ;)

We can both now relax whilst driving knowing that 'Tilly' will take us to wherever we want to go

Best buy for 2004....most certainly... I use it everyday for work

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2005, 21:06:23 »
I am rather fortunate, in that I can generally find my way around, as I am very comfortable with maps ... I even found my way into the inner sanctums of Peterborough Cathedral, something that Sat Nav doesnt have shown as a road ...

Derekthefox :D

Lorna2

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2005, 21:56:31 »
DTF  Agreed John can find his way anywhere but I think they are so useful especially to people like me who doesn't even like looking at maps.  Fos instance when we went to Erith Kent., put my sisters address in and took us to her door. Easy peasey ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2005, 22:59:53 »
I can remember saying those words to my niece during a rainstorm when we were out with Russ.  He hates rain and refuses to go a step further if he gets rained on so it was freezing and we were getting drenched when I remembered - a short cut!  It ended up with me face down in a deep rain filled ditch.  My niece wet herself laughin  ;D  Ah what fun  :)  And no recourse to technology  :-\
I came, I saw, I composted

Lorna2

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2005, 23:22:09 »
Wardy. I don't think even a sat nav would have helped in your circumstances ;D Hope Russ didn't get too wet ::) How is he btw?

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2005, 15:25:13 »
Wardy :D

Know that feeling with the Dog in the Rain...Snoopy
my Daughters Dog does the same when it rains and tends never to go out in it.....maybe should fit him with that new Sat
Tom-Tom thing 8)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2005, 16:01:23 »
Yes Lorna, don't get me wrong, I am not knocking sat nav, I think it is truly brilliant, particularly when travelling in unfamiliar terrain, eg abroad. I just have an easy time creating a route map in my head, so I don't tend to get lost very often.

Derekthefox :D

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2005, 17:50:58 »
DTF

Get a few more years under your belt and the old brain cells start to go wonky...you will then need all the help you can get.
I am now down to two active brain cells ....one spends all its time looking for the other...hence the Sat Nav  ;D

Derek

Lizzie

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2005, 19:01:27 »
The satnav is truly a great invention.

I spent every weekend in September driving with friends up to Halifax (from West Sussex) to rehearse for the G&S opera we put on in Ireland at the end of September. On the second weekend, designated driver, Stuart, introduced his new satnav toy, or Digital Dorothy, as she was lovingly named.

Amusingly, Digital Dorothy has a lisp. The joy of being instructed to "take the thecond exthit and continue thraight for theven mileth" cannot be understated.

Friend William declared he found Digital Dorothy strangely alluring - imagining her in her black thilk thockingth and bathque...

Boys and their toys, eh?!

Lizzie

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2005, 21:12:38 »
When did GPS become Sat Nav.  Debbie would like to get a GPS for hiking.  I like the trusty Silva and OS Explorer maps.  But I also like gismos so I might get one when I can afford it.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2005, 09:13:59 »
Found a name. FIONA she is very polite and sounds a bit blue stocking. She found a lock-up warehouse in Newhaven yesterday and not a single swear word all day.

Every time we had to change roads she said 'please'.

Good manners cost nothing apart from the £300 pounds purchase price.

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2005, 21:25:20 »
Wardy

Its the only time I can get to tell a female to shut up and NOT get an answer  ;)  ;D

Derek

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal