Author Topic: Pond weed?  (Read 2149 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Pond weed?
« on: January 09, 2006, 20:51:46 »
My pond at the allotment has loads of that green weed stuff that looks like a mat of algae growing under the surface of the water, is this called pond weed?

I sifted my hand through the pond and pulled most of it out, the water was freezing despite wearing waterproof gloves. Is there any way of stopping it from growing, I don't want to use any chemicals.
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
Re: Pond weed?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 11:11:10 »
Jesse what you having growing in your pond is called blanket weed , blanket weed is a nightmare , the best way to remove it is to wind it round a stick , but leave at side of pond overnight to let all the crawlies climb back in the pond, the if you have plenty of oxygenaters in the pond as spring comes and all the pond plants start to grow it will starve the blanket weed , best to cover half the pond with plants to , you can use barley straw to help to and also some peeps use a clay but not sure about that one ,

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 13:59:39 »
Thanks Dibber. I managed to pull another whole load out today, disgusting stuff. I do have lots of oxygenator plants in my pond so hopefully come the spring things will balance out again. I'll just keep clearing it out each day as I see it. The stick idea is good, my hands were like ice blocks after just a few seconds of being in the water!

dibberxxx

• Hectare
  • The Mad One!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 16:17:30 »
best thing you can do is just to remove when you see  it,you my feel you are on a losing battle , if you twist the stick round  it will pull it in one whole piece rather then backing off , i get plagued by blanket weed but find it usefull for the compost heap

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 13:17:10 »
I love removing blanket weed with a stick.. I find it very therapeutic.  The main problem that I have with it is that the dogs love to chew it.  So I throw it on the compost heap and they then leap in dig it out and have a good old chew.  Strange my dogs  ::)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 13:55:06 »
Mimi it's probably rich in some sort of mineral. :)

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 16:11:21 »
Thanks Jesse, thought that it must be something ... they love it more than their chews.  ;)
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2006, 23:24:29 »
Hi Jesse,
Blanket weed is great it can be put between plants and watch them grow. as well as compost heap.
If your pond is to attract wildlife you could try to get some duck weed ( think thats right) its a floater which coveres the water and blocks out sun light to blanket weed so it dies( the sun makes it grow faster)
I have a still water feature at home( old bath) with plants in and this duck weed no blanket weed at all in it and the frogs love it.
The water never smells the roots must feed on something and oxyganate the water.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal