Author Topic: Cheap Timber at Homebase  (Read 4533 times)

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
Cheap Timber at Homebase
« on: December 09, 2005, 21:22:36 »
Hi Gang,

I was wandering around the garden centre of my local Homebase today, when I noticed that they had reduced the prices of their tanilised decking timber, by 50%!  Not being one for decking, I quickly thought that it might come in handy for the two raised beds I have been promising myself. 

The main decking planks are 6' x 4 1/2" x 3/4", and with the Arris rail they also have on offer, (right-angled triangle in section), I can make a structure two planks high (9"), to make my beds up.

I reckon I can knock out a 4' x 4' x 9" bed for less than £20, plus the price of a few decking screws.

Guess what I'm doing this weekend . . .

Jimbo in Splott
From the virtual quill of the Splott-Lotter

RW

• Quarter Acre
    • The Poultry Guide
Re: Cheap Timber at Homebase
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2005, 22:11:18 »
Thanks for the tip - will go there tomorrow.

I am actually looking for posts to create a large cage to keep the black birds and pigeons away from things like cabages and fruit.

Regards

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2005, 22:21:15 »
Hi RW,

The Homebase near me has "Arris rail", triangular tanilised timber, about 2" x 2" x 3", for two quid per 6' length.  That might be useful for upright members (although jointing could be cumbersome).  Going to make me a leaf-cage / compost bin out of that and some chicken-wire.

Happy hunting!

Jimbo in Splott

karrot

• Half Acre
  • It was a hard days digging!!
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2005, 23:48:20 »
any pictures of how your going to do this would be great, i'm useless and have an equally useless OH. (but anything to do with computers ::))

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 00:48:19 »
Excellent Jimbo, our allotments tend to ask around the back of the B&Q stores, they often have damaged materials that can be taken away if you are discrete ...

The guys there get rewarded with a few veg every now and again ...

Derekthefox :D

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 08:13:19 »
If anyone can instruct me as to how I can attach a .jpg for Karrot, I'd be most grateful.  I have found the 'Insert Iamge' icon when posting, but I am unsure how this is associated with the picture.

Help!!!

Jimbo in Splott

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 09:03:27 »
You first need to upload your jpg image onto a hosting site such as photobucket Jim. Once you have done that, you will see some code with your photobucket image that begins with ... [img .....

You copy the whole of that code and then paste it into your message, it is that simple ...

The alternative is for you to pay £10 and you can upload directly off your computer ...

Jimbo

• Quarter Acre
  • Daddy's Girl
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 14:56:41 »
Thank you, Derek!

Here goes.  This is for you, Karrot.

chriszog

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 15:54:55 »
Its a lot cheaper if you can get timber from the local Tip or  old scaffold boards from the local scaffolder.
Chris

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 17:10:00 »
Never pass a skip without looking in it, especially near building work. Usually loads of perfectly good timber, posts, boards etc being thrown away. Such a  waste!!
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 18:55:10 »
I agree real food, but if on a building site, you must ask, because otherwise not only is it stealing, but you could be violating the health and safety regulations on the site. You will find the workers are more than helpful once approached.

Jimbo, well you mastered the image posting easily enough !!!

« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 18:56:48 by Derekthefox »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal