Author Topic: On No !! No Allotments Here!!  (Read 3360 times)

twofishes

• Not So New ...
  • desperately seeking a lottie.......
On No !! No Allotments Here!!
« on: November 21, 2005, 16:13:25 »
Live in not so sunny North Wales and have been desperately trying to find an allotment , but what do you know there isn't any in my area , there are some over the border in cheshire ( only 1.5 miles from my house, I can see them on a clear day!!) but I can't have one of those eventhough half are overgrown and going to waste....isn't this mad?

Anyone any advice??

twofishes

• Not So New ...
Re: On No !! No Allotments Here!!
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 16:26:44 »
Thanks for that , a good idea I shall take a wander down on Saturday Morning and have a chat with someone...will let you know how it goes!!

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 17:04:17 »
Hi Twofishes, i agree with wardy,go to the allotments and talk to the plot holders, ask if you can share with somebody as a trial, then go for a full site, write letters to the parish councils telling them how many plots are empty and that you WILL keep it clean and tidy, keep phoning the council, but dont give in keep the pressure on, show then that you want one and that your prepaired to do any thing, (well with in reasons) ha!ha!
good luck :D :D
windy
my allotment
heaven

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 18:50:53 »
Persistance is the key and showing your face.  When I originally enquired about a lottie a rather snotty lady at the council told me that "allotments have become very popular you know" and was truely patronising.  Also the guy that allocates allotments could not be contacted by telephone, you have to leave him a message - funny how when I received my offer of an allotment in Saturdays post that there was a direct telephone number for him which I have rung today.

As I mentioned on another post my offer of an allotment came through after visiting the site itself and speaking to the chaps on there.

Good Luck for Saturday!!
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 18:53:02 »
Try lottie squatting if all else fails - if you are still there after twelve years and they have not charged you rent then it will be yours for keeps.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 19:10:28 »
Lottie squatting sorry but that just made me giggle ;D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 20:33:59 »
Lottie squatting sorry but that just made me giggle ;D

Now don't get me going - that conjures up all sorts of images!!!   :o
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2005, 18:21:19 »
Get orf!!!!!  Am only little thing........ ;D ;D ;D you've squashed me tea strainer now.... ::)

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 19:39:56 »
Lotty squatting?  Isn't that something you do on yer compost ? ;D
Get with the beat Baggy

undercarriage plan

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2005, 22:55:13 »
Baggy!!!! Am so ..I can't even think of a word.....bar ....yes prob..... ;D
Lots (though Wardy, have to ask Lots of....???)

Pixie

• Acre
  • Chorlton the magical happiness dragon
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2005, 13:26:47 »
Two fishes  - I have the same problem as I live ' out of parish' the way i got my lottie (see 'guess what guys) the first time was that I argued that they were within so many miles of my house and that if no one else was waiting for one and there was one available that it would be better used (also had to agree that if anyone else came forward and there where no available plots left on that site I would have to give it up at renewal) and luckly they agreed - now lost lottie and am (probally always will be) at bottom of other lottie sites waiting lists in area as I live ' out of parish' but keep trying.
"Jump in, we'll take you for a spin, and show you round the Wheelie World..."

twofishes

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2005, 19:43:17 »
just read your postings Pixie, what a pain getting a lottie then losing it ..nightmare..good luck with getting another

I am off down to the ones down the road on Saturday to try and get in there with the tenants.....also got a letter today saying I have been put on the waiting list for another set ( but these are a 25min drive away) but the same as you , as I am 'out of the area' I have the least 'points' but I shall keep mithering them....

Lets hope the lottie fairies are looking out for us....

twofishes

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2005, 22:29:10 »
Yeh I am going to go and take some photos of the site near me aswell as the one I am on  the waiting list for ..then I might send a letter into our local rag especially regarding the lack of allotments in Flintshire, there is a site listed on the council website as allotments but when I went down to take a look, it was a playground !!!

twofishes

• Not So New ...
Update
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 14:21:56 »
Went down to allotment site near me 'thats out of my area' had a look round and a quick chat with one of the holders, he said that this particular site wasn't that popular ( due  to open position, rampant brambles,vandals, thefts etc) but that most of the other sites were very popular with waiting lists operating etc, but again only to those living & paying Council Tax to that council.....he suggested going down again in Jan/Feb (tenancy renewal time) and I might find someone willing to share part of their lotty in exchange for some hard slog and sharing of seed costs etc ..so that might be an option
Other than that still on a couple of waiting lists in 'my area' so will wait and see in the New Year

thanks everyone for your advice....keeping fingers crossed and still looking at these seed catalogues!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal