Author Topic: Look what I made today  (Read 2267 times)

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
Look what I made today
« on: December 22, 2005, 17:15:55 »
Got some lovely scaffolding planks for a fiver each and made 3 new raised beds.

Nathan

undercarriage plan

Re: Look what I made today
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005, 17:28:38 »
Wow, Nathan! You've been busy!  What you going to put in them, if I may be so bold as to enquire...

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005, 17:30:11 »
I'm not putting anything dirty in my lovely raised beds.... will keep on lawn as a sculpture!
Nathan

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005, 17:35:49 »
Well done Nathan!
It may be comforting to know that although I haven't used them as edging for raised beds (I use them for standing on to avoid compacting the soil), scaffold planks on my allotment have lasted a good five years, with no signs of decay at all, so you should get some real use from them.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005, 17:58:15 »
I don't blame you, you just go to the plot and polish them......by the way, is that a pink bucket I spy with my little eyes? ???

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2005, 18:27:34 »
Excellent, it is very satisfying to make things with your own hands ...

Derekthefox :D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005, 20:40:52 »
They are brilliant Nathan.  They make life so much easier I find,  and as Derek says how very satisfying to have produced them yourself, -  out of season too.  Next year you will be well organised. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2005, 21:46:38 »
Nathan Serious questions from a female. What size are they please. Are they fixed with nails or screws.(hoping you are going to say nails I have got thousands, well at least a few hundred of galvanised nails left over from fencing business)
I have started to hunt in the garage to see if any of the timber will be suitable as I definitely want to try raised bed/s this coming year.. Wheres me hammer?

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005, 22:04:19 »
Lorna the planks are standard size scaffolding planks, 13' long, about 9" wide and about 1 and a 1/2 " thick.

I got them by ringing round a few scaffolders in the yellow pages, these were sold but sometimes old ones are given away.

The long sides are the full 13' so didnt need anything doing.
The short sides are just about 4' 4" to get 3 out of a long plank.  (So the 3 raised beds you see used 8 planks)

I laid the long planks face flat and drilled 3 holes with electric drill, 3/4 " in from the end) , just to make the nailing easier. The nails (4" galvanised nails) then go through the drilled holes and into the end of the short plank.  It is then very easy to nail in, and this can be done in situ because the assembled thing is quite heavy.

Hope thats clear, but if not let me know and I'll post some moere detailed pics. Happy building!
Nathan

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005, 22:31:31 »
Brilliant Nathan.I think  I have got plenty of that size nails. (will look in garage).. Son John will have to do the sawing for me as when Charlie died I distributed most of his tools to son and son-in-laws.Which included cross cut saw, bench saw, rip saw,and every other type of flipping saw. I just kept a hand saw ;D I kept things like electric drills, cordless screwdriver and cases of drill bits. I thought I could manage these plus normal hand tools. So looks like I will be OK. Going to print this out so that I know what I am talking about when I tel John of my next project. Thanks again. Will scream if I need more help when I get round to "building"..............Lorna.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2005, 08:47:10 »
We have a big scaffolding business near me and they shred all their scaffolding planks.  What a waste  >:(

I shall try some of the others as I need to make some more.  The gravel boarding I've used isn't high enough.  Mind you I have made some raised beds without edging them (as I have nothing available at the mo) They haven't collapsed yet so fingers crossed.  I growing my leeks in them and up to yet they've been excellent  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2005, 09:19:33 »
We throw out an awful lot of timber at the college, after the carpentry students have used it. I manage to reclaim quite a bit, the 3x2 studding is useful after denailing it ... nothing as substantial as the scaffold boards though.

Derekthefox

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal