Author Topic: Couch Grass HELP!!!!!  (Read 4607 times)

Ozzy

• read only
  • Acre
Re: Couch Grass HELP!!!!!
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2005, 21:14:17 »
this intrigues me as mahn i would love to adopt the no dig method, but its couch grass mahn.. and remem back along the only way to get rid is to dig deep and get yer hands dirty.. okays u can wear gloves? but defeats the object.... I myself laboriously dug dead deep and sifted all the soil and grabbed every bit of couchgrass bindweed, what ever u name it... and it paid off... plus is good practice for when you plunge ur bare hands (like I sed u could wear gloves?) deep into the soil searching for those first earlies etc etc... dig em all out and spend a few weeks on da floor with sciatica, pay 60 quid for a chiropractor etc etc.. lol.. looking back tis worth it.. mahn i dont have problems with weeds or slugs.. .. but then again i dont have a lottie just a back garden which is same thing just a lot closer to home thats all pmsl

babbling

ozzy

:-* :-* :-*

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2005, 22:35:45 »
You babble away Oz, it certainly seems right to my ears ...

Derekthefox :D

dazdread

• Not So New ...
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2005, 12:22:34 »
My back garden plot was infested when I first moved in, we made the mistake of rotorvating it which just drover the roots deeper.

In the end I spent 3 months digging it out by hand and have now eliminated it from the plot. when ever I see a spay of the leaves I immediately dig it out.

I still suffer the encrouchment from the sides and have to dig it out each season, physical barriers work but it will find any gaps to come through. I hear comfrey also presents a good barrier but I can not afford to plant that around my plot.

In my fruit garden I have put down some heavy membrane and the couch grass has all but disappeared except around the edges.

Good luck

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2005, 12:21:46 »
Breaking the organic law by using a single drop of detergent in your glyphosate will help act as a wetting agent.

And it can be useful to add a spoonful of flower, then when you brush the solution onto individual plants its easier to remember which leaves you have done and which ones you still need to do.
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

John_H

• Half Acre
  • compost happens
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2005, 15:11:08 »
fair point redclanger, I guess I should have said break it with both and go all organic afterwards
Indian build small fire, keep warm.
White man build big fire - keep warm chopping wood!
http://www.20six.co.uk/johnhumphries

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal