Author Topic: Trailing or Bush?  (Read 1552 times)

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
Trailing or Bush?
« on: December 07, 2005, 17:34:44 »
Hello out there, another daft question for you all,

Can anyone tell me whether the following are bush or trailing squashes?
 - yellow patty pan/scallop (I'm thinking of ordering from the organic catalogue)
 - yellow straightneck (ditto)

Thanks,
Sue

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: Trailing or Bush?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2005, 08:21:57 »
The yellow patty pans I grew were bush.

They were courgette 'Sunburst' from DT Brown, in case that's the same variety.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

undercarriage plan

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 09:16:17 »
Oh excellent!! I've ordered some for next season!! Wish it'd hurry up!! Plot too wet to do much there, and want to dig and start again!! Think I'd better visit the addicts bit... ::)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 09:38:28 »
I am confused now, which is not difficult ... I have the organic gardening catalogue 2005 but can't find any of these varieties mentioned ... am I looking in the wrong place. Also I thought courgettes were bush, and squashes (meaning winter squashes) were generally trailing ... Sorry to appear as a thickie, but this is my venturing into this delicious vegetable as well, and I am getting confused over all the different varieties ...

Derekthefox :D

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 10:14:41 »
I grew all three this year. The patty pan and scallop went in with the sweetcorn and I had 6 straightneck in a small bed. None of them took up too much room.

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 15:38:20 »
The yellow patty pan (scallopini) is under 'Marrows' in the organic catalogue, Derek, probably because it looks nothing like a marrow.  Still, I'm giving it a go, especially if, as it sounds, it might be a bush type and, perhaps more importantly, our three year old will like the look of the flying saucers in the garden.  I was just wondering whether I would be training the plants up some metalwork along with the beans. ;)

Regards to all,
Sue

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 17:56:16 »
yes, the only fault I can place on the Organic Gardening Catalogue is the lack of an index ...

Derekthefox :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal