Author Topic: Begonias from seed  (Read 2595 times)

undercarriage plan

Begonias from seed
« on: December 07, 2005, 17:26:04 »
Has anyone had any experience from doing these from seed? Are they as good as the tubours, and do they flower as well?? I'm wanting to grow them for baskets and save money, there's a surprise! Think that's it......yup! Ta all

undercarriage plan

Re: Begonias from seed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 19:09:50 »
So do you think it'd be a bit of a risk then, Wards? Have always bought tubours, but the seeds would save soooo much money, but then again, not, if I then had to fork out for tubours too......mmmm decisions, decisions. ???

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2005, 19:20:30 »
I tried to grow them from seed one year with no success :'(  As Wardy says, the seeds are sooooo tiny, just like dust, so now I buy the plug plants in the spring and pot them up - much cheaper and more reliable  :)  I have tubers for baskets and have managed to overwinter them for about three years now.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

undercarriage plan

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2005, 19:24:11 »
Thanks GardenGirl!! Will go that route I think, how much are the plug plants? Seeds were actually quite pricey thinking bout it, T & M wanted £2.99 for 10!! :o

undercarriage plan

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2005, 21:24:28 »
Yup! Think you're right Wards, and do so suffer from erratic germiantion....no really!  ::)

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 22:36:16 »
The plugs were just under £3 per pack Lottie.  I got about 24 little plants in one pack from my local garden centre. Herewith a couple of photos of some of the plug plants by my pond and one of my trailing begonias
Happy gardening all...........Pat

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 23:05:26 »
Wow gorgeous  GG!! And Wards, YES!!! PLease!! Any help  gratefully recieved, pitifully even....

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 09:12:00 »
Hi Lottie
There was a free packet of seeds on one of the gardening mags this year so I decided to try them and got lots of plants.  Maybe it was first time luck but they were very good and lasted well. So maybe it's worth giving it a go.  :)
Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 09:17:36 »
Oh LillyLover!! Am all in a quandry now!!! How did you manage it? Any tips? OK, will get some seeds, some tubours, and some plastic ones, just to be on the safe side..... ;D ;)

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 10:28:57 »
I grew them from seed this year. They took ages to do anything, from germination to getting to 2 leafs took about 8-10 weeks in a propogator inside, but as soon as I pricked them out and hardened them off they took off and were stunning, flowered for months and gre enormous. Was very proud of them. Have saved some seed from them and will be having another go next year.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 16:01:19 »
Thanks DM! Am slowly growing in confidence now! And if worst comes to worst, will just sit and cry....cunning plan I feel...sorted!  ;D ;)

lilylover

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 22:25:12 »
Can't help with any tips lottie sorry. Takes me all my time to remember what I did yesterday never mind months ago  :) BUT I did find the packet and it's Mr Fothergill's Summer Rainbow which looked good in the ground or like this.....

Is it wrong to fancy Lucius Malfoy?

undercarriage plan

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2005, 09:19:30 »
Wow, Lillylover, that's gorgeous!! OK confidence just plummetted!! ;D ;D ;)

john_miller

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2005, 19:17:23 »
Has anyone had any experience from doing these from seed? Are they as good as the tubours, and do they flower as well?? I'm wanting to grow them for baskets and save money, there's a surprise! Think that's it......yup! Ta all
Growers in this area who sell baskets of tuberous begonias in flower in May have already started their seeds. From seed they are a tremendous investment of time and money. Plugs will probably work out cheaper.
Have saved some seed from them and will be having another go next year.
I haven't seen OP bedding or tuberous begonias since I started growing over two decades ago. Self saved seed may not come true and you will certainly lose hybrid vigour.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal