Author Topic: North Brighton Allotments in Danger of Destruction  (Read 4585 times)

NoParkandRide

• Not So New ...
    • Patcham Against Intrusive Development
North Brighton Allotments in Danger of Destruction
« on: January 21, 2005, 13:23:46 »
I have lived in the shadow of possible redevelopment of Patcham Court Farm, Patcham, Brighton for over 10 years. Over that time there have been a number of proposals for development of the abandoned farm, non of which involved the farm cottages or the surrounding allotments.

On Wednesday we learnt (rather insensitively via an article in the local evening paper)  that our homes and the surrounding allotments are to be bulldozed in favour of a park and ride car park.

We are obviously worried about this proposal to destroy a natural and beautiful part of north Brighton (not to mention very upset at being the last to know). Our feeling is that this is not the usual storm in a teacup, and the word is that the proposal will be passed by one vote next Wednesday at the Policy and Resources Committee meeting in Hove.

The idea of concreting over the allotments and destroying a community for the sake of parking cars is the most ridiculous and outrageous proposal yet! The area is not only our home but is also home to a lot of wildlife such as foxes, and I do believe, badgers.

If anyone has any useful information regarding previous similar situations etc please contact me.

http://www.timeistight.co.uk

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: North Brighton Allotments in Danger of Destruction
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2005, 13:01:46 »
Hi, I am so sorry I haven't got any information to help, but I really sympathise and I am scandalised that local authorities are allowed to get away with this.  It is outrageous and I hope that with enough publicity, even at this stage, this can be stopped in it's tracks.  Public opinion is a powerful tool if you can get it on your side.   :( busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2005, 14:08:49 »
Are they council owned allotments?
They have to give you warning and find alternatives within a certain distance... Someone on here may be able to help for sure but good luck anyway.
Run round getting the locals to sign petition and emails from all of us on here.

pinkhebe

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2005, 21:00:07 »
Oh no, I live in Brighton and have an allotment in Lower Roedale (ok, I've only had it for 2 months :)  )

If I can sign any petition, let me know

Helen

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2005, 10:42:35 »
I'm so sorry for you. This  is really distressing.
If the allotments are council owned, I think that the Sec of State for something-or-other has to give specific permission.

There is some sort of white paper from the govt. Do a search on "future of allotments" for some info.
Also go to:
http://www.parliament.the-stationery-office.co.uk/pa/cm199798/cmselect/cmenvtra/560/56002.htm

In this paper there is a lot of reference to Planning permission on allotments that are council owned and also privately owned and lots of recommendations - whether any of these recommendations ever made it to the statute book, I don't know.
Get on to your MP as soon as possible. Get the press involved and try and get them on your side. Show that the allotments are an important community amenity and that they support diversity etc...

I really sympathise with your situation - there is also a vague threat hanging over our site. Especially when the developers put up huge notices opposite the allotment gate saying "WANTED: LAND FOR DEVELOPMENT" and our plot is the only open land left in the vacinity...
Let us know what happens next.
Sarah.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2005, 21:28:12 »
The B******* just buy up all land. most of our local fallow fields are owned by developers. Put up a fight. I could travel an extra mile or 2 to a NEW allotment but there are many on it who couldn`t start again. they would just quit and die off I fear...

Way 2 go Sarah. I am sure you are right with your info.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 09:33:38 »
If not already members it could be worth joining NALGS to get national support.
Our allotments are adjacent to the newly developed tram site in Nottingham and we did lose a few allotments when it was built. Since then we've gone out of our way to get disadvantaged groups here so we have lobby groups on our side if we are ever under threat from expansion. There's also a small area that we are intending to have turned into a nature reserve which would protect our boundary. The lengths you have to go to for security

Brighton Council has produced standards and targets for allotments, one of which is 95% letting.

What happened eventually in this case which was petitioned to the House of Lords?

Mr. David Lepper (Brighton, Pavilion): I am pleased to present a petition from Prestonville Community Association in my constituency, which is signed by 1,128 residents and concerns land for which the association has planning permission for allotments and a wildlife site, but on which the owners, Rail Property Limited, are seeking permission to build flats.

The petition

Declares that allotment land and wildlife areas in urban environments, such as the allotment land adjacent to 55 Highcroft Villas, Brighton should be preserved, protected and enhanced for the benefit of local people.

The Petitioners therefore request that the House of Commons urge the Secretary of State for the Environment, Transport and the Regions to do all in his power to prevent building developments from taking place on allotment land in general and specifically on the land at Highcroft Villas Brighton.

To lie upon the Table.

NoParkandRide

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 14:10:04 »
Thanks for that, that's very interesting. I'm trying to find out more...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 18:00:20 »
Sorry to hear about your allotments being under threat.  The organisation referred to (Nat Soc of Allotment & Leisure Gardeners) exists to protect allotments so get in touch with them   01536 266576 or www.nsalg.org.uk
Also there is a group called Planning Insanity who are extremely helpful and willing to send someone to talk to you.  They can tell you how to try and get something blocked by the Sec of State to give you a bit of breathing space.  Friends of the Earth will probably be able to advise you as well.  Indeed they got involved in the fight to keep the Victoria Jubilee Allotments in Birmingham who were under threat by Westbury Homes.  See reports on that on the web.
If you can get to look at a copy of The Allotment DVD there is a bit on there about a group of lotty holders who took on the C of E and developers to save their plots (but they got the council on side)  You must form an action group!
I came, I saw, I composted

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 19:51:50 »
Hi it's me again.  I've had a look on that DVD for you and the allotments up against it were St Stephens at Landsown in Bath.  Their allotments were owned by St Stephens church and they wanted to sell the lotties to make way for 5 executive homes.  The plotholders got together to fight (not all of them at this stage) and fortunately found a council tourism leaflet extolling the virtue of the lotties which formed part of a "green" route through to the town centre.  The council had no option really but to help the plotties fight the developers.  The developers had loads of money to fight off any opposition but the planning application was refused by the council but the developer appealed.  Meanwhile the developer decided with the backing of the diocese to do some test core drilling and drove a digger straight across the allotments.  Many seedbeds were damaged and this enraged the plot holders that made them more determined to fight.  The case was heard in Bath guildhall over three days and the plot holders won.  It was covered in the local papers and one journo was called Helen Ward.  It was on TV as well, probably TV West.  It just shows you can take on the big boys and win.  Where I live we have just seen off an application to build a waste dump and drive tip site.  It pays to stick up for yourself  :)

NoParkandRide

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2005, 17:00:17 »
Thanks for the info wardy. The council own the allotments  :-\

I have found an article in the Argus archives on David Leppers help with the Prestonville Community Association. Apsrt from that I can't find anything else. I have emailed the Prestonville Community Association asking for help  ;)

azalea

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2005, 13:33:08 »
I found this while browsing - www.timeistight.co.uk/PCF/LPQD21.htm
Looked interesting.

Local Plan Home   
QD21 Allotments

Planning permission will NOT be granted for proposals that would result in the loss of allotments. Planning permission may be given for alternative open space uses for allotments which are surplus to requirements. Allotments will be considered surplus to requirements where the following criteria are met:

a. plots have remained genuinely available to allotment users;
b. they have been unused for more than five years;
c. they have been offered to all the people on the allotment waiting lists, city wide;
d. they have been advertised to the general public as being available during this time; and,
e. redundant allotment plots form a cohesive unit, that can be separated from other plots without causing disruption to existing allotments, still in active use.

Where allotments are surplus to requirements, preference will be given to alternative amenity or leisure uses that retain the open nature of the site and are compatible with allotment gardening. New built development will only be acceptable where the applicant can demonstrate it is ancillary and essential to the open space use of the site.
3.92 Allotment sites owned by the Council and in private ownership, are unevenly distributed throughout Brighton and Hove. Some are inner urban plots, others form part of the urban fringe between the built up area and the Downs. In the Government’s command paper, ‘the Future of Allotments’, the Government considers that allotments form a component part of healthy neighbourhoods and that there was a need for urgent action to protect existing allotment sites. The Government welcomes the contribution made by private sites and urges the owners of private sites to adopt a long term and positive approach. The Government advises that planning guidance on the role of allotments should be explicit because allotment land is the principal category of urban green space that is being eroded.
3.93 During the consultation process carried out to inform this Plan, allotment holders expressed concern that allotment sites should be protected and that any alternative use of vacant plots should not damage the existing allotments. The deliberate development of scrub or overgrown vegetation was considered to be unhelpful to other allotment holders because of possible rabbit infestation.
3.94 Allotment sites in Brighton and Hove are currently being surveyed by the Council. Until the survey is complete and any vacant plots identified, advertised and promoted, it is not known whether there are any parcels of redundant land that could be put to alternative uses. Some allotments on the downland fringes may be of very poor quality and if not in use over a period of time may be better managed as open downland until they are needed. Small sites publicly or privately owned within the built up area fulfil several roles as amenity open space as well as allotment land and are likely to be valued as open space by the local community.
3.95 Proposals affecting allotments will also be expected to comply with the ‘Urban Open Space’ Policy (QD20) and the ‘Protection of public and private outdoor recreation space’ Policy (SR22).

Â 
    Â    Â 

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2005, 22:46:19 »
There's more interesting stuff on planning here http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_planning/documents/page/odpm_plan_606902.hcsp - Planning Policy Guidance 17: Planning for open space, sport and recreation. --- from the Office of the Deputy Prime Minister.

All best wishes - Gavin

NoParkandRide

• Not So New ...
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2005, 11:43:28 »
Please sign and circulate the new online petition - thank you!

http://www.petitionthem.com/default.asp?sect=detail&pet=1845

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2005, 09:51:35 »
Just noticed this on the BBC!

From http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/southern_counties/4509222.stm

"Plans for park and ride rejected

Controversial proposals to build a new park and ride scheme in Sussex have been rejected by councillors.

The scheme for Patcham, to the north of Brighton, was opposed by many local residents who feared the loss of homes and allotments and a rise in traffic.

A 5,000-name petition against the plans was handed to the council in October.

Councillors had been recommended to approve the 450-space site at Patcham Court Farm, which would have had a bus link to the city every 10 minutes.

Business leaders had insisted the facility was vital for the economic future of Brighton and Hove. "

and there's a piccy of the allotments!

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2005, 09:57:50 »
I hope that the scheme is dead in the water and there's no need for appeal and the lotties will be saved.  Fingers crossed  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal