Author Topic: Liming and leek rust  (Read 2759 times)

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Liming and leek rust
« on: October 16, 2003, 01:21:49 »
About a month and a half ago I dutifully limed an area for me brassicas. The cabbage whites managed to strip them to mere sticks before I got them in the ground, sooooo can I use this limed area to put my garlic or onions in???   (have a very small lottie and need to use the space if poss.) thanks  Also whilst I am here, what can be done if anything about leek rust. mine are already showing lovely yellow pustules (good word!) on them, and this usually spreads to my garlic and onions, any way to avoid this?(mind you they still taste good!) My lottie is right next to the communial compost heap, so I seem to get everything going :D  Dotty P.
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Hugh_Jones

Re: Liming and leek rust
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2003, 02:38:39 »
Can`t help you on the garlic Doris, as I simply can`t stand the smell of the stuff, but you should be quite o.k. with the onions as they will stand a fair amount of lime.

As to the leek rust, I`m happy to say that it hasn`t got into my leeks yet.  The staple cure used to be Benlate, but the Commissars of the European Soviet Union abolished this a few years ago and I don`t know whether there is now an effective remedy.  Before Benlate the main treatment was usually Permanganate of Potash in solution (unfortunately I cannot now remember the exact strength but it was the same as when used for disinfectant purposes) which was mainly used as a preventive.  If the rust spots are not too many, a spot of olive oil on each will stop the spot bursting and spreading its spores.

merv

• Half Acre
  • Umm, just a pinch of.....
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2003, 15:17:33 »
Hiya  :)

I don't think there is a chemical control available for Leek Rust.

Maybe plant in soil that has very little Nitrogen in it?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2003, 20:04:48 »
thanks chaps, I might be seen with my can of olive oil in a spray form on the lottie this weekend! I have a nagging suspicion though that as half the others around me have it I will be fighting a losing battle...we can but try! Dotty P. :)
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal