Produce > Edible Plants

Toms

<< < (2/11) > >>

rdak:
when do you plant them out? is it always after the last frost? maybe I will try some a bit early and use Ina's method of taking the lower leaves off and transplanting them deeper - perhaps that will delay the top growth as it develops roots.

Mrs Ava:
I definately wait until after the lost frost....so long as someone points out that that was most definately the last frost.  I actually normally wait until I see others have theres out and about, I transplant into pots, and like you I am going to do it Ina's way, nice and deep, and then finally into position.  I was hoping to get some at the allotment, but I fear I won't have room.  :o  I have got a touch carried away.  :-/

wetandcold:
I'm glad to hear that some other people have their tomatoes under way. I planted mine a couple of weeks ago, as usual, and they have germinated and now have their first set of true leaves! :)

I live near Glasgow on the west coast of Scotland and, strangely (Gulf Stream I guess), we get hardly any frosts ever - my grandparents live in Oxfordshire and they get much worse frost than us!

Anyway, I think that by planting my tom's a bit earlier I will give them a head start to make up for the lack of sun in the summer (and we usually have great weather in April / May so it would be good to give them the opportunity to flourish then!)

aquilegia:
Hmm - maybe I will start mine now then. I sowed them in January last year (it said you could on the packet) and had a bumper harvest, but then I was put off doing it so early this year. But I'm gonna.

Too much to do tomorrow now!

rdak:
saw this on a gardening newsgroup:

--- Quote ---Professional growers, to stop the plants becoming 'leggy', fool the plants
into thinking they are in a windy situation, by brushing the plants with
their
hands several times day, the movemnet makes the plant think it's being
buffeted by the wind and grows shorter and stronger!
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version