Author Topic: DREADED DENTIST  (Read 8111 times)

Yellow Petals

Re: DREADED DENTIST
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 23:59:57 »
Well, that horrible time is here again and I'm scared witless - as I always am with a visit to the dentist.

Tomorrow I have an appointment straight from work for a checkup which I know will lead to some major treatment.  I've been in terrible pain for about ten days now but my dentist didn't open again until today (not that I care, the longer I can put it off, the better!)  I've been surviving on very strong painkillers and alcohol since before Christmas!! 

I don't know why I am so terrified but I am.  I've actually had to have treatment halted on occasion because I shake and cry so much (even had to have my husband called in once!) 

Last Christmas I knew I had to have a tooth pulled so I registered with a new dentist who uses sedation.  Fabulous!  He told me that I wouldn't be going to sleep, I'd be sedated, that we would hold a perfectly normal conversation throughout but I would feel nothing and afterwards would remember nothing.  All perfectly true.  I remember sitting in the chair - crying - again - whilst they set up sedation drip/jab and that's it - don't remember another thing until I got into car for hubby to drive me home.  Amazing.  So why do I still feel so flipping scared????
(and it's only a check-up!) I'm going to push to get my treatment done ASAP so I dont have to spend days crying and throwing up with anxiety! 

Ok, rant over, just needed to get that off my chest.

And ..... with all due respect .... please don't reply with, "don't worry Sam, you'll be ok"  because for idiots like me with a dental phobia, it means nothing!!   :)

I might just get some false teeth instead.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2006, 00:07:30 »
Okay, not going to reassure you at all Sam, but wish you happy thoughts whilst you are there, hope the sun shines all day for you, and you have a lovely evening when you get home!

We have our family appoitment on Valentines days...awww...how romantic!

Ava is rather nervous of the dentist.  I think most people are....I think I am the exception......I quite like the dentist...  :-\

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2006, 00:35:11 »

Well not going to relive my dental tales (nightmares) I want to sleep tonight
  suffice to say.....I take prescribed meds before I go...and still bloody
  petrified......am soooooooooooo not gonna sleep tonight !!!!!

::) ::) JAGS ::) ::)

Hot_Potato

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2006, 01:43:44 »
oooooeerrrr....have just been reading the various experiences and re-actions of trips to and treatment at the dentist....

I too am very nervous and dread going altho I go regularly...went a few weeks before Christmas and had a crown fitted, after first wearing a temporary one for a fortnight while new one was made....had hoped this would be fine but no....ever since, have had some discomfort & occasional 'sharp jab' of pain....

decided as it was Christmas to leave things alone, all the time hoping it would get better and surely I was imagining it!!.....but on no....last couple of days, really have horrible ache, hurts to eat on it & just 'bite' my teeth together and I can feel swelling & inflammation all around 'site' of the tooth.....

as much as I dread it....will have to 'phone them soon as I feel sure I'm developing an abscess!! :(

joji

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2006, 02:55:39 »
Well guys . I won't tell you my stories of what happened to me at the dentist. But I still have all my teeth but since I had such a very bad incident at one dentists. I have never been to one for 14 years. :o

And no amount of money or any other means will get me to walk in one either :'( !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have scared me for life.

Joji

undercarriage plan

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2006, 07:15:56 »
Thinking of you YP, cos I'm with Joji on this one, would rather eat worms......

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2006, 08:47:49 »
An understanding dentist is what people need. Son John is the same as you YP but fortunately his dentist understands and gives him "happy pills" or at least he did last time he went.
I think almost everyone has a nervous reaction to dentists, I know I have and my appointment to have three fillings is on 10th (OMG)
By the time you read this your visit will hopefully be over., but thouights will be with you today.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2006, 09:45:17 »
I sympathise Sam having been in that position too.  It took a really good dentist to restore my confidence.  Once I had one I realised that there was nothing to fear and going regularly now does away with having to have anything major done  too.

My son has been the same as you and no amount of sympathy or support helped him, but his dentist sedates him now which has taken a lot of the phobia away.  He was the best I have ever seen him a few weeks ago, when we had to accompany him to the dentist, and sailed through it.  Will be thinking of you but I am betting it is not half as bad as you think it is going to be, and afterwards you will wonder why you worried.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2006, 10:07:15 »
I used to have a total phobia of dentists because the anaesthetic didn't work properly and I always felt everything they did. Eventually I found one who knew what I was going on about; he just gives me a jab, I sit in the waiting room for ten minutes while it takes effect, and I don't feel a thing.

Yellow Petals

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2006, 18:56:47 »
Had my appointment.  Wasn't very impressed to be honest.  My once laughing, friendly dentist was very rude to me today and I got quite cross with him!

He looked in my mouth for about ten seconds and said, "hmm, root canal or extraction"  and when I got up off of the floor, I said "well, extraction wins hands down!"  He grilled me on why and I told him my reasons .... anyway.... things were said ... more things were said about treatments, appt times, fees blah blah... and I suddenly thought, hang on a mo, he hasn't even told me what the problem is yet!  So I asked him and guess what?  He said....you have an infection!  So I said, "well surely in that case you can give me some antibiotics for it then????"  I looked like this ------->  :o   More discussion but I won.  A weeks worth of tabs and I'm back there next week for a "review"

Impressed I am not..... relieved I most definitely am!  ;D
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 18:58:31 by Yellow Petals »

undercarriage plan

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2006, 18:58:59 »
Phew!! OK, glad you're ok, far braver than me, Sam.....

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2006, 19:07:25 »
YP. Oh dear!!  Maybe he had a row with his wife/girlfriend/boyfriend before he came to work.. That is why I think it essential  that dentists/Doctors etc are considerate of patients. After all who pays their wages??

undercarriage plan

« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2006, 19:09:11 »
Not me!!  ;D  though I may end up====>  :-X at this rate....

BAGGY

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2006, 19:43:11 »
You should consider
1, getting a new detist through recommendations of friends etc.  I did he was fab and cured my fear. I hadn't been for over 20 years.
or
2, being hypnotised or something like that to work through your fears.
Get with the beat Baggy

undercarriage plan

« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2006, 19:45:50 »
Well touch wood, Bags, so far so good, but to be honest my fear is that deep rooted, I'd need tranquilzing to get to the hypnotist to get me to the dentist... :-\

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2006, 22:50:22 »
Had my appointment.  Wasn't very impressed to be honest.  My once laughing, friendly dentist was very rude to me today and I got quite cross with him!

Impressed I am not..... relieved I most definitely am!  ;D

I hope you luck out with the antibiotics, I really do.

moonbells (who's had to be virtually sat on to stay in the chair before now - it's the drill sound I can't stand)
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Yellow Petals

« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2006, 23:38:10 »
You should consider
1, getting a new detist through recommendations of friends etc.  I did he was fab and cured my fear. I hadn't been for over 20 years.
or
2, being hypnotised or something like that to work through your fears.

1.  This is my new dentist LOLOL
2.  When I have any thing other than a check up, I am now sedated and know nothing about what's going on (so why could I still not bring myself to have root canal?!)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2006, 09:49:25 »
Again I am sure it is down to the people being tolerant. Not dentistry but my middle daughter has a real phobia about needles. Her three children could not be natural childbirth so she had to have them by means of ????? can't spell it but you know what I mean ;D. Her second child they actually had 2 nurses holding her down. When she was going in Hosp for her third child her midwife at home was so furious she contacted the Hosp and they sedated her in the ward. Tolerance!!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2006, 12:26:32 »
Once upon a time I had a nightmarish phobia about needles (probably like 80% of the population lol) and used to drag my mum along with me for silly things like blood tests.  Then, a few years back, I got a blood clot in my lungs and had to have my blood taken about five times a day for almost two weeks.  Hey, no phobia now! Ha!  Just a case of getting used to it.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2006, 12:58:54 »
I received a reminder to visit from my dentist ..... about 2 months ago if I remember well.

I know I have to go, it makes sense, it is the best thing I could ever do to keep healthy teeth.... but I keep putting it back. 

I keep remembering when she positioned a cap wrongly and then had to take it off again, WITHOUT sedation.  I nearly died of pain and she said it SURELY COULD NOT hurt !!!  :o :o :o :-X    They just simply haven't got a clue... ::) :o

Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal