Author Topic: 60's fashions  (Read 4413 times)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
60's fashions
« on: December 05, 2005, 12:41:36 »
My daughter Jennifer is sweet 16 and into the 60's fashion revival. Of course I was there for the original, and remember it with fondness. Long hair, jos-sticks, raggy jeans, levi cords, loons, smelly afghan coats and my favourite, embroidered indian cheesecloth shirts. Alas, walking barefoot was a problem because of the amount of dogsh*t and broken glass. Strangely, I was not into necklaces though. I was a real 'peace brother' then (and still am).

Does anyone else remember this era with the same misty eyes ?

Derekthefox :D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Re: 60's fashions
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 13:09:38 »
Absolutely remember it Derek.  Was my era;  Mini skirts, midi skirts, velvet flares and loons. Early 60's was op art clothes and geometric hairstyles from Mary Quant and Vidal Sassoon.  I loved the flower power time too, when people did wear flowers in their hair and have bells around their necks. Remember the music from "Hair" as well.  I saw it at  the Newcastle Theatre Royal and  remember getting up on stage to dance with the brave nudes who disrobed at the end. I bought my then boyfriend now OH a matching paisley shirt and tie one year for Christmas,  and he had quite a few cheese cloth shirts. 

I loved the music from that era and the innocence of the time. There was a feeling of optimism around and people were very idealistic.  I know it was also the start of the drug culture and promiscuousness but it was a very happy time for me, and I think back to it with very fond memories.  So misty eyes in abundance here Derek.  :) busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 13:14:56 »
Ah yes, I remember the velvet flares !!! I had a bell too, I remember buying it from a pet shop - a budgie bell, and a leather bootlace to attach it ... later on, I had bells on my jeans, original wranglers, worn so they were hanging off, the seams on the legs all unstitched so they went all feathery ...

And I am still innocent of course  ;)

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 14:06:45 »
Aw listen to the oldies reminiscing hee hee hee!   :P  Actually... I demand photographs!! Aah go on,go on...go on!  I could find a pic of moi in the 60's. Was rather chubby,couldn't stand on me own two feet and my dress sense was non existent. But then it seems...so was yours  ;D
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 14:15:53 by Heldi »

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 14:13:50 »
Poor Heldi having missed out on all that............grandad vests, tie dye, jesus boots, sewing inserts into straight jeans to make them flares....................& all those music festivals that I wished I could go to. :(

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 14:20:05 »
Would you believe, Helly, that I have NO photos of that period? I didn't discover photography until I was 19 (1974), and even then I was never a subject ...

on the original 60's theme though, I remember the first album to imprint itself upon me, Days of Future Passed (past) by the Moody Blues, very hip and surreal at the time ...

And I am still trying to 'find' myself ...  Peace man !  ;D

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 14:22:42 »
You know what...my dad had a dicky fit when I was a teenager and I had my hair cut short and spikey...if only I had been smart enough to dig out those 60's photos and remind him of what a clip he looked.

Better run before I get a clip myself lol!

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 14:37:33 »
Loon pants were a 1970's creation and the famous lady who invented this phenomenon is none other than my upholstery teacher!  We only found out when we were having a similar discussion in class and that's when she owned up to being the designer and coming up with the famous name.  Never made her a penny  :(  I think she was pleased that we'd remembered.  I had a green pair and they were fantastic  :)
I had a hippy bell and was incensed when my mother hung it in the cockatiel cage  ;D  I was very young but I had a MQ bag with hair curlers for Christmas and the best mascara I've ever had a MQ block one which made your eyelashes look like hairy spiders.  I had a wonderful Kathy McGowan frock which I was mad on.  My auntie made me a a copy Sandie Shaw's frock when she won the Eurovision.  All my fave music now is from the 60's  ;D  My elder brother was a real "long hair" and very into love and peace but ma wouldn't let him do drugs or smoke  ;D  We had all the records.  BL  Good morning starshine was on the radio the other day on Steve Wright.  The words weren't difficult to remember where they?  clippy clip cloopy, oobie abba nabba lee lo lo ................. ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 14:48:54 »
Of course, so many memories of the 60's, landing on the moon, and to me now, one of the biggest events was Woodstock ...

Of course I have only seen the recordings, but it was just awesome ...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 14:52:35 »
I think some great records came out of the hippy period  :)  Woodstock and the other one I really loved was Scott McKenzie's San Fransisco  :)

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2005, 14:58:05 »
Sorry folks you've lost me - What are loon pants?

Would have loved to have been around in the 60's but alas I don't even remember the 70's!!!!!!!!! ;D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2005, 14:59:21 »
If you're going to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you're going to San Francisco
You're gonna meet some gentle people there

For those who come to San Francisco
Summertime will be a love-in there
In the streets of San Francisco
Gentle people with flowers in their hair

All across the nation such a strange vibration
People in motion
There's a whole generation with a new explanation
People in motion people in motion

For those who come to San Francisco
Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair
If you come to San Francisco

If you come to San Francisco

Poetry from the year of my birth.  :)
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2005, 15:05:25 »
Delilah, loons were a derivative of flares really, but the shape was more pronounced and curved. Also the colours were extremely vivid, yellows, reds greens, orange ...

I preferred my jeans, with my inserts to make my own flares ... i also remember wearing the jeans in the bath, to get them to fit better ...  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2005, 15:13:21 »
ooh I wish I'd been at the Monterey Rock Festival - I bet it was fantastic.  Ah well we had the youth club and if I remember rightly the big record of the day was Hang on Sloopy  :)

Loons were brightly coloured cotton twill hipster flared trousers invented by my upholstery teacher (plugging away for here again)  A 1970's creation though - not 60's

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2005, 15:26:11 »
Oh, I remember it well but after 1963 the Swinging Sixties for me meant swinging babies in my arms trying to get them to sleep!! the music seemed a bit saccariney to me being a Rock n Roll teenager but did love the cropped hairstyles, the mini(ish) skirts and the simple lines of the Quant type clothing. 
The real revelation for me tho was the coming of TIGHTS/PANTIHOSE - what a godsend after having to wear  stockings/suspenders and all the accessories - hope that's not heavy breathing from the male section on here?? ;) ;D
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2005, 15:50:15 »
My breathing is restrained here Wicker ... Yes the early 60's music was a bit tame, I preferred the late 60's when the heavy music reestablished itself, with the emergence of progressive ...

Miniskirts were a delight to me, as a hormone overloaded teenager ...

I am trying to recall when I first encountered loons, was it 71, or 72 ... ?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2005, 16:18:07 »
Like Delilah, I wasn't even a sparkle in my daddy's eye.   ;D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2005, 18:37:07 »
I was born in 1970 - the year the love died.

Still a hippy at heart though and you want to go through my record collection - Gong, Donovon, Incredible String Band, early Floyd.......
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2005, 18:38:52 »
The Byrds anyone?
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2005, 18:39:29 »
Entering the sixties I remember I owned a lovely powder blue suit....music was developing rapidly since 'Rock around the Clock' in the fifties.

1964..the year I got married to the Governor...definitely a good year  ;)

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal