Author Topic: On the plot today  (Read 11798 times)

undercarriage plan

Re: On the plot today
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2005, 20:37:44 »
Shocking behaviour, Delilah!! Well, I would have got to the plot if I hadn't been wasting my time cooking!! Grrrrr....but I'm hoping to get there tomorrow PM after work... fingers crossed.  My membrane had all blown off last weekend, Wardy, luckily the fence had stopped it!! But it was full of rain, and took forever to put back. It's now covered with bricks, large lumps of concrete, a stern look and a finger waggle.....Glad you had fun!!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2005, 20:38:12 »
Ha ha wetting myself laughing here, I am very much in favour of anyone tending plots, just keep them occupied and productive. So many plots seem to be allowed to stand idle, and then become difficult to reclaim ...

Derekthefox :D

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2005, 20:39:59 »
I've got the book as well TM, but the impression I get is that it's not the temperature thats critical but the amount of daylight per day and that we in the UK just don't get enough during the winter season.

Yes? No?

MikeB

Hi Mike - Yep spot on IMHO. It's the light that counts. Our light levels are lower than much of the US. But a number of our herbs and vegetables are of woodland origin and can cope, albeit with slow growth rates. This just means sowing early enough i.e. early autumn.

My adaptation of his ideas is to grow as many 'woodland' plants as I can over the winter in the greenhouse and coldframes - they become my winter allotment. Right now I have lots of the following in there:

Vegetables:

Winter lettuce (5 types)
Orientals: mustards, pak choi & assorted greens
Mibuna
Mizuna
Witloof chicory
Grumolo chicory
Endive
Lamb's lettuce
Winter purslane
Spring onions

Herbs:

Chervil
Parsley
Mitsuba
Rosemary
Coriander
French Tarragon
Bay

I concede no-one is going to get a weight problem eating this stuff, but it just keeps the wheel turning so to speak. The greenhouse allows gardening whatever the weather and keeps the crops clean.

(Sorry to bang on about this BTW)

I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2005, 20:52:32 »
Well Wardy I've had a good weekend. Yesterday OH was being decisive which I do like rather alot. He phoned some numbers and before long we were off down into Durham where I bought myself six new hens. Three Blue Belles and three Cuckoo Morans. Absolute sweeties.  Then when they were deposited on the lotty it was off to a four year old's birthday party. Cousin twice removed or whatever...I dunno.  Anyway they move in very posh circles but I was delighted to see that toff mothers wear holey socks.

Today I have been at the lotty most of the day. I don't feel very well(violins please) but I had to check on the new girls and the old girls and boys.  They are having a bit of argy bargy but were getting on better by roosting time. OH was supposed to be busy doing modifications to the shed and hen area but spent more time gossiping with other men off the plots. He even ended up moving someone's daughter's furniture in his van ::). Meanwhile I mucked out,laughed at Dennis crowing. So much effort for so little,he misses out the "doodle" an all,and I then sat and shivered whilst blowing bubbles for daughter's entertainment.Anyway top news is...I've had two eggs today!!!  Woo hoo!  Also I have about ten beans up. Way hey!

New names for hens.  Chiana is a small Blue Belle who looks silvery grey. Zhaan is a large blue Blue Belle and Aeryn Sun is a fiesty Cuckoo who laid one of the eggs and has pecked me and my daughter. She's great though with a floppy comb. Three left to name...I will try to put Wardy forward but I may be overruled!
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 20:54:11 by Heldi »

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2005, 20:58:10 »
A definite Farscape influence then !!! Aeryn will be my favourite without any question ...  ;D

« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 13:23:09 by Derekthefox »

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2005, 21:03:26 »
Congrats to you Heldi - new hens AND eggs, what more could a girl want? :D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2005, 21:15:54 »
Derek I'm most impressed. You a fan?

Delilah I am a  happy chick right now  ;D!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2005, 21:19:43 »
A closet fan Helly, I 'discovered' Farscape ...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2005, 22:43:02 »
Heidi  You must call one of your chooks Wardy and one Lottie - it's the law!  ;D

I'm just waiting for dog to snuff it so I can get some hens of my own.  Poor little Russ has not been too good today, he's been very leaky so am thinking he might have an infection.  His old head is red hot!   :(  He's due for his annual check up from the neck up so will haul him off  to vets  :(
« Last Edit: December 04, 2005, 22:45:06 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2005, 22:54:40 »
Wardy. I know Russ is an OAP but hope he is brighter tomorrow. Have a grand time tomorrow evening.

undercarriage plan

« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2005, 23:04:11 »
Erm, is OK Heldi, you call you're lovely new chooks what you will.. really..... if I'm in run with Wardy....well...she can be bit feisty, may get me feathers pulled.... ::) ;)
Wardy, nother huge hug for Russ, hope he feels brighter in morning...

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2005, 23:11:56 »
I hope he does anorl Lots.  I'm fed up of cleaning bleepin carpets.  How I ever get any repeat guests I don't know  ;D ;D

Don't worry about the two of us in a run together, we'll be fine  ;D
I came, I saw, I composted

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2005, 23:51:13 »
Helly, can I join the list for one of your feisty chicks to be called Derek then ... ?  ;D

Perhaps the ugly one ...

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2005, 00:19:31 »
Wardy, I hope Russ is a bit better tomorrow.  Shame when they get old (just like us).  He cant help it if he wees your carpets.  I remember my mother putting a pair of knickers on her Boxer dog when she was in season once.  ahem..  my mother used to be daft!  she too is old now and has lost her spark! 

Can't imagine what would happen Derek the (FOX) if you were put with the new chooks......   Dead chooks me thinks.

Delilah

• Hectare
  • its OK to be slightly cracked!
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2005, 08:44:17 »
thinking of little Russ - keep us informed Wardy

Can't imagine what would happen Derek the (FOX) if you were put with the new chooks......   

Feathers flying everywhere methinks ;D
If you don't make mistakes, you'll never make anything!

undercarriage plan

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2005, 09:07:21 »
OK, Wardy, will go in the chicken run with you, but any pecking and I'll stop laying...... and am not broody!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2005, 10:31:32 »
Aww come on guys, I am quite cuddly really !!!

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2005, 10:51:04 »
Derek you never know your luck...I'm being asked to change Jessie's name. I'll put Derek to my son and see what he thinks. Funnily enough Jessie is the one most interested in my digging.

Wards and Lottie. My son has wanted to call the last blue hen  "Blueberry" Well he's only 8! That means there are two unamed birds left. Both got speckled chests, pinkish faces and Dennis likes to mount them. Would these two be fitting? Heh heh heh!

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2005, 11:11:29 »
I am waiting with baited breath ...  :)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #39 on: December 05, 2005, 11:14:59 »
Erk, second thoughts call em Elsie and Doris  ;D