Author Topic: Christmas Markets  (Read 4127 times)

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
Christmas Markets
« on: December 05, 2005, 14:16:33 »
It's that time of year again! 

Have always taken the family into France for this.  Visiting the Continent is always such fun.  The myriad of  little garden sheds all dec'd out in fairy lights with heaters inside them, selling everything from crepes to Christmas Cheer is such an attraction!

Can anyone recommend a Christmas market in the UK?  Is there such as thing like the EU month long festivities?

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Bagpuss74

• Not So New ...
Re: Christmas Markets
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 14:38:08 »
Lincoln is always a good bet FL.  Does get very busy though!!!

vee

• Acre
  • Ashton-under-Lyne, near Manchester
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 15:39:43 »
There's one at Skipton in the Yorkshire Dales on Sunday 11th December. I went last year and it was lovely with a lantern procession and carols at dusk. I think it's called a medieval fair with people in costume. I went to the Lincoln one a few years ago and it was really good,  but very busy. I love these sort of markets though, it gets you in the mood for Christmas, which I'm not at the moment. There's usually a German Christmas market in Manchester city centre every year, which goes on for a few weeks. There's also a lit up ferris wheel which looks fantasic at night.

Suru

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 18:09:53 »
 Hi Flowerlady,
    theres a lovely German Christmas market in Leeds Millenium Square.You can drink hot punch and there are lots of german delicacies on sale.Theres a  lovely selection of  hand made decorations and wooden toys and if you've energy to spare you can take a ride on the ferris wheel and view the lovely Christmas lights!
       Best Wishes Sue :)

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2005, 18:48:45 »
Lincoln is always a good bet FL.  Does get very busy though!!!
Lincoln was at the weekend - seems to get earlier each year.  Us locals generally hide unless we have a business up there.  Saw Kitty today as I wandered past her shop with a party of schoolchildren - she was on the phone so did not get a chance to shout hello on the way past.  She is someone who has probably just had a busy weekend.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 20:31:12 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2005, 20:06:34 »
So you didn't buy one of her paintings? Shame on you!!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 20:32:31 »
Debbie loves cats Tim so I have every intention of buying her one of Kitty's paintings as soon as I can afford it.  With a bit of luck this winter will be so cold that hell freezes over.  Might have sorted out my financial problems by then.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

DaveM

• Not So New ...
    • http://lottie49.blog.com/
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2005, 08:06:27 »
Hi Flowerlady.

If London is within your range on a Sunday. A festive great day out is Columbia Road for your horticultural fix and bagels for breakfast, you have to get  there early to avoid the crush.

Just down the road is Bethnal Green Museum of Childhood...need i say more.

Then thro' the Blackwall Tunnel to Greenwich where there is allways an interesting foodie, arts and crafts market every weekend  this is added to this year by a Christmas Market in the CuttySark Gardens.

Guess what I'm doing this Sunday?

Cheers.

Dave.
My Allotment is starting to rule my life.
Ain't life great !

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2005, 14:43:13 »
Wow, spoilt for choice.  Thank you for your suggestions.

Have also seen that Bath is doing it's bit.  Complete with wooden chalets.  Will try to get there! :)

I still find it sad that many English Festive Markets are held in November :-\  To me that's far too soon.

Dave, London is no problem for me (J19, M25!) so shall definitely try to visit a few there.

Found the enclosed if anyone is nearby:

http://www.londontown.com/Christmas/2005/Christmas2005.pdf

Having said all that I still feel the Continent has the edge!! ;D  Some even go until the new year!!
To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2005, 19:02:52 »
There's a German market here in Birmingham. Don't know how it compares with the ones in Germany but it goes down well here.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2005, 18:49:41 »
Flowerlady ;)

Starting Shortly our Town [ Village Square] becomes an Ice Rink :D

Little Huts selling Beer and Small Pancakes...all deck out in Christmas  Lights...Christmas Music...so Warm and Inviting lovely to walk around on a Nice Crisp evening...whilst all wrapped -up Snug....Hmmmmmmmmm 8)
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 19:43:34 »
Wow,  how long does this last for? 

Many on the continent go until end of the year and more?

Have very happy memories of Pancake Restaurants Hmmmmmmmmmmmm  ;D

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2005, 11:35:50 »
Flowerlady ;D

Until the New Year....great for the Little Ones because
there all on Holidays for nearly three weeks.
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2005, 08:26:44 »
Debbie loves cats Tim so I have every intention of buying her one of Kitty's paintings as soon as I can afford it.  With a bit of luck this winter will be so cold that hell freezes over.  Might have sorted out my financial problems by then.

I got my hubbie a Kitty for our 1st anniversary and he loves it - is now on lounge wall having displaced one of my Japanese cat prints.  :-)

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

timmyc

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2005, 15:22:59 »
The Centre MK (Milton Keynes) may not be your most glam Christmas - but they've got a pretty decent German market - just how you describe selling Bratworst and Gluwein and all manner of things.

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2005, 17:18:16 »
Just come back from the German Christmas Markets, had a great time, though didn't get any prezzies as there was nothing different that you can't get in the UK, apart from the atmophere of course. (plus a sore rear end from sitting on a coach for 18 hours ;D)

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2005, 17:27:17 »
we are off to Bruges this weekend, with a list of implements and stuff to buy for others down the allotments: automated tying string/raffia whatsits, adzes of various sizes, seeds, long handled shovels etc.

plus there's a christmas market and ice rink.

only 3 hours door to door if we hit the chunnel right on time.

then there's the bruggsetrippel...kwak, and all sorts of lovely beers.. and nowadays we reckon the belgies produce the better food and with less fuss, cost and pretension than the ******* cheese monkeys..
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2005, 09:14:46 »
Bruges is fabulous, at any time of the year.  Would recommend it to everyone.  ;D

Don't miss out on the crepes, and waffles, with the hazelnut chocolate sauce!

Have you ever done the tour of the brewery in the town?

Have fun - I'm sure you will.  ;)

delboy

• Acre
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2005, 12:17:35 »
Brewery? Will Look that up, just hope it's not like France: "fermee le lundi"
What if the hokey cokey is what it's all about?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal