Author Topic: Jacaranda Trees  (Read 2376 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Jacaranda Trees
« on: December 03, 2005, 11:25:05 »
I don't grow them, but had to show you this picture of Jacaranda trees in bloom, taken whilst on holiday in Australia. the colour really is as blue as that!

« Last Edit: December 03, 2005, 11:31:11 by jennym »

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
Re: Jacaranda Trees
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2005, 17:54:30 »
Wow, that is almost surreal ...

Derekthefox :D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2005, 18:19:32 »
Jennym That is fantastic. Wonder if I could stand the journey? Methinks a holiday with my great nephews would be appealing!!

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 20:45:17 »
I was given one of these by a neighbour, so there's at least two growing in Cambridgeshire, Lorna! They're about a foot high and growing in pots and are kept inside for the winter and I don't suppose will ever flower, but very nice foliage plants.

They come from Brazil originally I think. You don't need to go as far as Australia to see them, though - see them quite often in mediterranean resorts.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 21:28:55 »
Ceratonia. I really thought the pic posted by Jennnym was fantastic. You will have to let us know progress of the one you have got. How long have you had it?

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2005, 20:00:20 »
It is now two years old, but I don't think we'll ever get flowers. Another few years and it will be too big to come inside for the winter and I don't think it will like the frost.

Jennym's picture is fantastic, but maybe only half of the story. I would imagine that row of trees had a pretty nice scent, too.

Can't think of any blue-flowering trees commonly grown in the UK.

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2005, 08:55:38 »
There was a 'Jacaranda Avenue' of these trees in Nairobi when I was there, you are quite right, the scent was delicious.   :)

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Lady Cosmos

• Acre
  • Lady of the dunes
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2005, 14:52:59 »
Beautifull picture Jennym. I have seen those trees in Brasil, Ceratonia. Do you know that it is easy to take cuttings from that tree? :D

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2005, 16:44:09 »
Beautifull picture Jennym. I have seen those trees in Brasil, Ceratonia. Do you know that it is easy to take cuttings from that tree? :D
Well, I didn't take cuttings, but did pick up some seeds... I will try growing these.

...Can't think of any blue-flowering trees commonly grown in the UK. 
Ceanothus are quite pretty, not quite as bright though.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2005, 16:46:34 by jennym »

Nathan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2005, 21:37:10 »
Jenny that reminded me of my childhood home in Pretoria, South Africa.  All the roads were lined with Jacarandas. 

Walking to school we trod on carpets of fallen flowers which would 'pop' under our feet.  Brought back lovely memories!
Nathan

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 15:19:00 »
The flowers are stunning, aren't they?
None had fallen at the time I was in Australia, but the previous seasons seed pods were there - large, tough cases, difficult to pull apart with the fingers, with thin papery seeds inside - just waiting to be picked up.
Mind you, don't know if they are viable, as I didn't see any seedlings around.

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 12:00:36 »
Spoke to my neighbour and she claimed 100% success with germination - reckoned they were really easy to grow from seed. She uses them like half-hardy annuals - grows them for the foliage and then chucks them away in autumn.

I looked up hardiness on Google and one site reckoned yong trees wouldn't cope with frost, but more mature specimens could handle temperatures down to -7C. So when my "tree" gets to big to bring indoors, I shall plant it somewhere sheltered and see how it gets on.

Bambi.1

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2005, 14:05:41 »

What gorgeous tree's and amazing colour  :o ;D great pic Jennym,thanks for sharing it with us.

I do hope you get flowers when it matures.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal