Author Topic: what do i do?  (Read 1687 times)

karrot

• Half Acre
  • It was a hard days digging!!
what do i do?
« on: December 02, 2005, 22:57:05 »
Hi all, hope this list means something to you, I'm just hoping something nice com
es up ;D
anemone coronaria
crocus camassia quamash
hermodactylus tuberosus
iris reticulata
muscari armeniacum
These bulbs were just sent to me by a friend with a leaflet of instructions. The info tells to plant out in autumn (like most bulbs)
Well with it being freezing December what shell i do?. I'm hoping to move soon so can't just plant out in garden :-\

KevB

• Hectare
  • Now where did I Plant those Seeds
Re: what do i do?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 23:02:05 »
Plant in pots a.s.a.p. and then plunge the pots in your new homes garden including the pot!
cheers Kevb
If I wasn't Gardening I'd be shopping!! thank God for Gardening!!

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 23:03:36 »
Can you put them in pots then move them with you to your new home.  If you don't plant the bulbs they will shrivel up and not be any use and this way you will be able to enjoy them wherever you are.

Tulipa

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2005, 23:04:27 »
Sorry, Kev's post crept in while I typed!

karrot

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2005, 23:31:26 »
Thanks guys, will do that. I posted on here not long ago about digging up my daffs and tulips because i was moving, it was recommended i put in pots also. (and have done) i will be moving with an awful lot of pots ;D.
So when they get to final destination i take out of pot and put in ground in their clumps. or buy some bio-degradable pots then stick whole thing in?

karrot

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2005, 21:48:27 »
Thanks all,is there really no chance of storing them somehow? how does the retailer store them?

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2005, 00:48:24 »
As far as I'm aware, the bulbs are taken up in late spring, when their leaves have died off, and sent to the retailer a short time later. They're kept in cool, controlled-humidity conditions in the interval. They're not kept for more than a single short season, roughly Sept-Dec, in the shops.

Poppy2

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2005, 14:10:44 »
those hemodactylus are a bit fussy with theie flowering and need just the right conditions the previous year or they will just send up nice long grassy leaves over winter(mine are up now) and you have to look close  as the flowers are black and green and you could miss them anyhow! Plant them in a sunny scree. The Iris reticulata need to be planted at least 4" deep or they will produce piles of little rice grains and no flowers. Hope this helps
 Poppy2 ;)
Who Knows Where The Time Goes ?

karrot

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2005, 22:39:50 »
oh crikey this is getting complicated. how much are you all going to hate me when i tell you I've just thrown them in the ground and they did really well ;D. thanks for the advise have written it down ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal