Author Topic: Web cams  (Read 2304 times)

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
Web cams
« on: December 16, 2005, 10:51:22 »
We have just bought a pair of web cams, one for me and one for my sister, who lives in London.  We tried it out installed the soft ware and were a little bit disappointed with the picture quality.  However, some people say "that's about as good as it gets".  It could be our web cam, it may be our graphics card, it could be the speed of the internet connection, it could be the conferencing software we are using (Skyte).  Any observations, hints or tips would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks, busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Web cams
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2005, 10:53:59 »
Was the webcam expensive?  I think much depends on that  :-\
I came, I saw, I composted

jaggythistle

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2005, 13:49:35 »

Wardy...my webcam was from argos was 2 for £12.99...picture is ok...and
  with new messenger if you have a mic...which again came from argos and
  was £7 for 2.....I would not entertain skype...when you can get both voice
  and video through msn... try putting a spotlight facing down to you..extra
  light makes all the difference.

JAGS

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2005, 13:52:18 »
I WON'T be getting a web cam  ;D

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2005, 16:00:33 »
Nor me, come to that ...

Derekthefox ;D

ChrisH

• Quarter Acre
    • http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/enable/index.htm
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2005, 18:37:20 »
You could try using it through netmeeting ?

start > programs > accessories > communications

or could try C:\Program Files\NetMeeting

I thinks it normally called conf.exe

Both connect to the internet as normal and run netmeeting, one person host the meeting while the other connects. If you have a firewall you will most likely be prompted with an alert to say someone is trying to connect.

flower

• Half Acre
  • loves music almost as much as plants
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2005, 18:43:23 »
on my last puter i had a web cam from Argos it was 19.99 and the pic was clear and it also had a mike so i don't think it has owt to do with the net connection , the new web cam i have on this puter is ok too and that was 15 quid for the two but no mike with this one
Is there an adjustment feature on your cam? that you can turn etc to make it look clearer or anything in the cam programme where you can improve the pics? there usually is and jags is right extra light makes a lot of difference
i am an angel really honest  wink wink

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2005, 00:46:43 »
Thanks so much for all your comments and advice.  I really appreciate it all.  We bought our web cams from the local PC shop for £15 each.  Light seems to be a problem although our computer room has a bright light, perhaps it is not in the right position. The pic is a little grainy too.  I am just trying to find out as much as possible - I would rather take them back and get a better pair if it would make a difference.  Will try msn, thanks Jags. busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

undercarriage plan

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 11:44:42 »
Well, OH has just bought 2 webcams, they're doing 2 for the price of one at Tesco, think it's bout £17 ? And has set up mike thing, the theory being, that while he's away next week, he can talk and see me and the kids, no typing, my spelling you see... ::) leaves him slightly frustrated and Mags takes 6 hrs to type Hi....reality? He may view my left foot if lucky.....noooo way!!!  ;D

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2005, 12:09:27 »
I can't imagine my old man getting a web cam so he could like at me whilst speaking to me on the phone  ;D  When he goes away he goes away  ;D

undercarriage plan

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2005, 12:33:33 »
Well, strangely Wards, it may well break Monday morning......He's not been away for erm long, long time, and think it's more to see the kids than me.. :'(, anyway, I'll be hiding under the desk, directing proceedings.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal