Author Topic: First ever leeks  (Read 7074 times)

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
Re: First ever leeks
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2006, 16:36:55 »
Wrapping rolls! What a good idea. I never think of these things.

Pulled my first leek on Saturday. Proud moment followed by gritty moments as hadn't washed it properly.  :)
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2006, 16:46:17 »
Please indulge me in an off-topic moment ... Sarah, I am growing salsify this season for the first time, do I need rolls to get a good crop?

I am busy at work cutting up old pieces of 1 1/2 inch plastic drain pipe for my leeks ...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2006, 16:57:41 »
So long as you have ground that's friable reasonably deep, and not freshly manured, as for carrots, your salsify should grow nicely D if you sow direct. I am going to make a seed tape to be parsleymonious! BUT I am also going to try starting in toilet rolls to see if this gives 'em a good start, so let's experiment with a double trial - rolls, and au naturel - and see how they do ;) Which variety/ies you going to plant?

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2006, 16:59:53 »
Whoops, should we start a salsify thread D, this one is about leeks  :-[ :P

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2006, 17:09:38 »
Sandwich Island, Sarah. You have answered my question, thank you. Wardy, please don't report me for going off topic  ...  :)

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2006, 19:45:02 »
Wardy. Methinks I will try some leeks. Can get an abundance of strong tubes from the insides of sons vinyl rolls..I think  they are about 2ft long!!

grawrc

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Edinburgh
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2006, 19:58:15 »
Sorry for being obtuse, but are the tubes/ rolls for blanching purposes? ::)

Derekthefox

• read only
  • Hectare
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2006, 08:32:56 »
Yes grawrc, in that they produce a longer white stem, I get the impression that earthing up, or fitting collars actually extends the length of the leek ...

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2006, 08:49:23 »
Well, there could be two uses for the rolls ... first, as little plant pots for seedlings, and second, as a blanching aid when the leeks are a bit bigger (i.e. fitted after and before earthing up) :P. Experiment, experiment  ::)

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2006, 09:50:14 »
Winter is reading seasonĀ  8) and this year I'm going to follow the suggestion to plant three seeds in a kitchen roll roll full of compost and see if I get wunda leeks ... ;D

What compost would you use for growing leeks, please?  I want to try growing some next year and have been saving the cardboard centres from kitchen rolls, tin foil and loo rolls.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2006, 10:37:07 »
Hey Pauline, I just use an all purpose compost as cheap as possible from a seed merchant or roughie toughie garden centre. It's surprising how much those little tubes lap up! I put them in a box or shallow crate and fill them up with the cut-off funnel I use for jam pot filling  :P. Once you've planted them, they will sink down when you water them.
Depending on what you've planted in them, you can plant shallow or deep. I plan to whittle a piece of fat dowel as a dibber to make planting out easier this year.
There are some peeps who make their own seed compost here, check out with the A4a 'search' for recipes  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal